Firmware update speed

I have a C-8 Pro that has all of my Z-wave devices and most of my Zigbee devices. I also have a C-8 that has a few Zigbee devices and several of the Hubduino devices. Lastly I have a C-7 that currently is just receiving data from my weather station. All are on the same wired network. Whenever I install the latest update to them, the C-8 is extremely slower to download, extract and install than either of the other two. For example, tonight they were all three triggered to update within a few seconds of each other and both the C-8 Pro and the C-7 are completely finished and restarted while the C-8 is less than halfway finished downloading still. This is the case for every update and it always takes it at least 6 to 8 times longer to complete than the other two. I have tried swapping the hubs between cables and ports but it does not change. It seems to operate fine other than this. It's not a really big issue, but doesn anyone have any ideas on why this might be?

I can't find the exact thread that loosely explained it, but it has to do with the way C8 downloads and executes the update, and that is a different process than the earlier models.

FWIW I also believed the C8 was longer. After a recent update I timed the process on my C8 and my twoC7's. While the C8 was indeed longer the entire process was 2 min 40 seconds. The two C7's were slightly better at 2minites 16 seconds and 2 minutes 30 seconds. But no matter how little that difference is, the C8 reboot does seem to take an excruciatingly long time to update, and reboot compared to the C7 and earlier models.

1 Like

You can try going into network settings and changing the Ethernet speed setting of the hub from Auto to 100, or if it's already set to 100 change it to Auto.

Basically whatever setting it has now change it to the other. That can help with the slow download speeds.

5 Likes

Wish I'd seen this post before applying the latest firmware update.

You could roll back, and then re-apply it! :wink:

1 Like

That is for sure. C-8 restart is crazy long, but download speed shouldn’t be any different. If I start a firmware download on my C-8s and C-5 they all take about the same time to download.

1 Like

As silly as it sounds, this is usually the fix, give it a try. Some routers/switches don't play nice with one setting or the other so flipping it will often fix connection speed issues.

1 Like

When I recently upgraded my router I had to change this setting. The firmware download on the new router was almost non-existent until I made the change.

Thanks everyone for the responses and help. The download issues is resolved. I guess for some reason in the past I had changed the setting to 100. I put it back on Auto and with the latest update today, the download speed was inline with the other two hubs. The actual installation still took longer on the C-8, but apparently that is expected. The C-8Pro finished first with the C-7 a few seconds later. The C-8 still took about 90 seconds or so longer than the other two. I hadn't noticed this previously because since I've never had an update issue, I usually just start the update on them and go do something else for a while.

2 Likes

The C-8 pro is expected to take half of the time the C-8 does to reboot, so that makes sense.

2 Likes

Wow! That simple tip made my hubs download at warp speed. Thanks!

3 Likes

:+1:

I'll be switching my setting back to Auto.
Very slow download speed.

1 Like