Firmware update: mandatory?

I'm running version: 2.1.5.124 on a C-5 without problems.

not a lot of devices, but a little piece of this, a little piece of that: zigbee devices, z-wave devices, built-in apps, user apps, custom drivers, etc.

Reading daily the community topics, it seems to me that new firmwares leads to new problems. I understand that new users are joining the train everyday, and this add to the complexity of managing every problems submitted.

Firmware is now 2.1.7.123.
In this firmware, I see that devices I already have installed (Symfonisk, Gledopto and they are working OK) are offered.

I'm a little bit conservative about new drivers and (some) updates. I work in IT and I've seen so many times that users decided to update functionnal drivers and those updates create more problems than before the updates...

So, should I always update for the latest firmware, even I don't have any problem with older ones, or may I wait patiently until I have problems with my current one ?

(again, don't forget that my english is broken and I know that I make mistakes on long texts. Be kind with me on that matter).

1 Like

It's up to you really. I usually update one of my hub to the lastest because I want to play around with new rules or functions but hold back on my other hub at least a few weeks or months for bug because I have devices and rules that I will get in the dog house from the wife.
If there is some kind of security update then definitely.

1 Like

I’m in IT too. I know exactly where you’re coming from. No, you do not have to update. I’m still running 2.1.3.125 (Yes I went back) on my primary hub. :wink:

1 Like

I have a spare hub to keep things working in case of a failure. I'll update this one to play with it, leaving the main hub (as @SmartHomePrimer mentionned) fully functionnal.
Thank you for your comment.

4 Likes

You're in control, that's one of the main benefits of HE. I've been lagging on updates recently.... everything is running great for me so I have the attitude if it ain't broke don't fix it.

2 Likes

I always click that red beacon like my life depends on it - and deal with the consequences later.

3 Likes