Firewalla

I wonder if we could just step back for a sec.

What is your goal in using IPvanish? What problem are you trying to solve?

In my case, I need a VPN server running in my house so that I can securely view my IP cameras, access files, or access my hubitatā€™s admin interface remotely. It also has the bonus effect of encrypting my connection if I want to use some free WiFi network when Iā€™m way.

I donā€™t routinely use a commercial VPN service because I feel no particular need to hide my IP traffic from my ISP or whomever else might be watching.

1 Like

Interesting! I didn't realize this!

Would it make a difference if my additional google wifi pucks are hardwired back to the main puck not sending this info over wifi back to the main puck?

Aaiyar, it looks like, as you say, dd-wrt CAN run an Openvpn but depends if you can find firmware to flash that supports it on the particular router. I don't see anything on dd-wrt's website for the wndr3700 router I have indicating if I can run openvpn with the firmware they provide. Any ideas. I feel like this is almost over my head but I may be able to figure it out with some help and it's the only way to learn!

For dd-wrt Iā€™d suggest reading their wiki, thereā€™s a lot of info there. I donā€™t know anything about that router specifically, but Iā€™ll bet thereā€™s a firmware version for it that includes OpenVPN server.

2 Likes

No difference. Three of my four pucks are hardwired. Also, Firewalla now notes there are several issues when their product is used with Google WiFi.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Firewalla is out. I'll tackle trying to install DD-WRT on my old Netgear wndr3700 with a firmware that supports openVPN. If you don't hear from me on the forums for a while, it's because I screwed up my whole network. Lol.

2 Likes

Good luck.

1 Like

Btw here's some snapshots from the firewalla site about Google WiFi

1 Like

FWIW, I really like my Fingbox. My godson's dad has one as well.

Cool, I check it out as well!

1 Like

What gadgetry things haven't you bought?!?!? I feel like that list might be shorter!!!!

2 Likes

Clearly will power is not my strongest point ..... :rofl:

2 Likes

I accept donations of old equipment!!!

1 Like