Find my hub identify report wrong IP address

Hello,

Just transitioned from a previous hub to hubitat.
Setting up the hub, I began with a DHCP assigned address and then proceeded to assign a static IP address. I had no issue pairing devices, and writing rules using rule machine with the assigned static address of a.b.c.9.

BUT... i just cant get it associated with my hubitat account. When I hit find my hub, basic method report nothing. Advanced method using the MAC address identify the hub, but with the wrong IP address of 169.254.6.209 and of course cant connect

I also tried the find using the subnet method using the subnet gateway address as the based x.y.z.0 but no sucess. I am not sure of the syntax to use in this case.

Q1: What is the syntax to search by IP address ?
Q2: Since I know my IP address, is there a way to manually add it ?

All machine both wired (like the PC I use for the test) and Wi-Fi have an adress on the same subnet either static or DHCP.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks !

1 Like

The IP address you have listed is one that is generated when the computer cannot reach a DHCP server - it's not exclusive to Hubitat, most computers (that I know of) do that.

1 Like

Hello Eric, agreed on that I saw that often when there were no connectivity, the windows machine default to that address.

But the issue here is that DHCP server can be reached. THe machine on which I am running chrome has no issue accessing DHCP server or the internet. I can ping anywhere I want.

So here are a few more details. I am running a PC that has a static address of a.b.c.11. The Hubitat hub has a static address of a.b.c.9 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet. I have no issue accessing the Hubitat and controlling it locally.

If I follow - you set the Hubitat IP address to Static IP and then clicked on Save and Switch to Static IP? Did you then reboot the hub?

(I'm reading Network Setup | Hubitat Documentation)

Hello,
Several reboot took place since the IP address setup. Either by removing physically the power, or by using the reboot options in the settings menu.

So you are seeing the 169.254 address after rebooting? That would indicate the static settings might be incorrect and, as a result didn't apply. The 169.254 is a sign of a DHCP session that timed out without getting appropriate response from the DHCP server.

I don't have a lot of experience with this as I use DHCP reservations for almost everything on my network.

1 Like

My local DHCP server is of course unaware of static IP address hostnames. When I look at the DHCP table, i see a unknown name host name for any device having a static IP address. I do not use DHCP reservation. The static address range is outside the DHCP address range.

Understood. The DHCP server is not responding to the Hubitat but (apparently) the Hubitat still thinks it is configured for DHCP and, thus, assigns the 169.254 when it can't reach the DHCP server. There's a note on the the Network Setup page linked previously that indicates incorrect data entry might result in a failure to assign the static address. You could do the reset (also described in that document) and start the IP network configuration over again.

Everything appear to be in static mode with the parameter I had given.

So to investigate the issue, I did the following steps

• Revert back to DHCP addressing
  • Connect in DHCP
  • Redid the static IP addressing with the exact same parameters as before
  • Connect to static IP a.b.c.9 from my local machine on a.b.c.11.

And voila... suddendly, it can be discovered. Seems to be a glitch in the network config.

Thanks for your suggestions Eric

As an added note to that issue, I believe there was a bug regarding static IP address config. I found this comment in the release notes of **Release 2.3.4.127 ** : * Fixed static IP assignment not sticking around.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.