Finally migrated to my new C-7... Should have stuck with my C-4... Routes all messed up

So I finally decided to migrated to the new C7 my wife got me for Christmas. I was going to migrate to the C-5 she got me last Christmas, but never got around to it.

I decided I wanted a fresh start, so I wanted to exclude from the C4 and include on the C7. Everything seemed to go fine, but for some reason my z-wave network is having tons of trouble. Once second a light switch will work, and the next no response. My z-wave repairs keep showing more failed nodes than good. I connected up my Pc Controller to look for ghosts, and there were a few (probably when I was trying to get some of my farther away zooz light switches connected), and I was able to remove all 1 one of them. The last ghost doesn't seem to be in anyone's cluster/route though.

How long do I let the z-wave "settle" before I start removing devices and re-adding them?

When I've had issues with z-wave I give it a good 24 hours without making any changes that involve Inclusion/Exclusion.

And it might take longer - some say 48 hrs and for some routing issues a week or so.

2 Likes

I also have migrated over 75+ devices from ST -> HE and the Zigbee devices are rock solid, the Z-Wave devices are hit & miss. Every day, C7 is getting better, but it looses one or two Zooz switches that I have to rerun inclusion with 'no security'.

I'm on day 3 without any drops, just one ZEN2x switch that is unresponsive in the morning and wakes up and works after a few toggles....go figure!

Still HE is heads above ST... My C5 has chatty Z-Wave motions sensors and Hub Mesh is my friend

2 Likes

You need to understand that, as you are migrating, you have two parallel meshes that coexist but do no interact. So, you start out with a weak C-7 mesh that grows stronger as the C-4 mesh grows weaker. One way is to rip the Band-Aid off, shut off the C-4, exclude the devices from the C-7, include from the C-7 out.

One thing you will have to deal with on theC-7 when including is that if you get any “ghost nodes” from failed includes (no in/out clusters), you need to remove those nodes before proceeding. Shutdown occasionally, remove power (at wall, not at hub), reboot to check if ghost nodes.

2 Likes

I'm still getting weird re-inclusion issues. Devices that have already been included and are working just pop up for inclusion again. If I click away everything is okay, if I click save then I lose the label and have to figure out where it came from.

Note: it only seems to happen when I have a different device in pairing mode. If I just run a bare inclusion nothing happens as expected.

Agreed, and about 1/2 way through the migration I did just that, got rid of all the C4 devices and turned it off.

I guess it is time to just leave it along and see how things shake out in a couple of days. (super frustrating though :slight_smile: )

5 Likes

Patience is a virtue.

3 Likes

I'm also get similar issues.. i'm also thinking I should have stuck with C4. IMHO C7 is not yet ready for general release.

2 Likes

I too, am glad, that I have a C5 to supplement the unique issues of the C7 and Z-Wave. I was intending to migrate all 75+ devices to the C7, but ran into a brick wall with frequent ghost dvices and mesh corruption with my brand new Z-Wave motion sensors on the C7. Hub Mesh has been a lifesaver for synchronizing the motion to the C7 where most of the Rules, Motion and Simple Automations exist.

So far this is what is basically working for my setup:

C5

• Zooz 4-1 Motion Sensors (Z-Wave)
  • Fibaro ZW5 Motion Sensors (Z-Wave)
  • Sonos, Logitech, MyQ Garage, ThinQ, a few others

C7

• Zooz ZEN2x Switches (Z-Wave no security)
  • Zooz ZEN16 Multi Relay (Z-Wave no security)
  • Dome Leak Sensors, Water Valve (Z-Wave)
  • Grabber Blinds (Z-Wave)
  • iPhone mobile presence (3 devices)
  • Wi-Fi Z-Wave Bulb
  • Smoke/CO Detector (Z-Wave)
  • Kwikset 916 Lock (Z-Wave)
  • Generic (Z-Wave) Repeater(s)
  • All Zigbee Contact/Motion Sensors
  • EnvisaLink, Alarmdecoder, Echo Speaks, Ecobee, Lock Code Manager, a few others
  • Amazon Echo, Sharptools, Sleep Number, Ambient Weather Station
  • LIFX
2 Likes

My C-5 is dedicated to all things Zigbee, My C-7 has all my Z-Wave devices and a C-4 from my original migration is now used for cloud and network apps. Slightly overkill but I like the separation and is working for the most part...

My client has a C-7 main which is a mixture of Z-Wave+ (all S2 - most paired with no security)/Zigbee and their original C-5 in the (very) detached but wired garage. Their mesh seems to be much improved especially after I left it alone for a while. I am getting some non-responsive devices that I'll have to exclude/include.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I had transitioned my Fibaro ZW5 Motion Sensor to my C7 and noticed today that it wasn’t working... Only 100% battery power was going through - nothing else. I moved it to my C5 and it seems to be working fine now...

2 Likes

This is probably not C-7 related, but all of my apps seem to be running on east coast time and not mountain. I realized this when I setup my apps and one of them ran 2 hours early. I double checked my location settings, and it was originally eastern when I setup the jobs, but switched it to mountain. No change, my apps kept running 2 hours early. I then checked my location, and it was still properly set at mountain, but my location on the map was still somewhere east"ish". I got that moved to the correct position, but we will see.

Has anybody else experienced this? Does the time setup in a job remember what the time zone was when setup vs. using the system time zone setting?

This is what I plan to do once the z-wave migrations/back up service is released by HE.
Have the C7 (sitting unplugged right now) handle my z-wave devices & Rule Machine, and have my C5 be Zigbee + Cloud/Apps.

1 Like

That's basically what I do right now. C7=zwave, C4=zigbee and my 1 cloud app (life360).

So the Z-wave migration will be able to move the z-wave devices from a C5 to a C7? Would that make any difference for the people having Z-wave problems? Wouldn't the dropping and ghost stuff still happen the same?

I guess that depends on the implementation and how it's handled by the chipset..

2 Likes