Final StartUp Question - Notifications

I understand there is no native SMS in HE, so I first tried to set up SMTP. After 3 days without success, I switched over to PushOver and it runs fine -- but it is not a complete solution:

I have two temperature sensors in grandkid's rooms that send notifications if the room is too hot or cold. Under ST it also sent notifications to their Mom. I see no way to use the PushOver notification to trigger a secondary message to their Mom -- other than setting up another program instance on her phone. Not a good solution for many reasons.

Has anyone found a better way to tackle this issue?

You can install Pushover on as many devices as you'd like, all using the same Pushover account (i.e. no need to spend the $5 for a second user, unless that user uses a different phone platform (iOS vs Android) - even then, keep everything under one account.)

Then, on your hub, add a second Pushover Device, using the same credentials as the first one. You'll be able to select which Pushover Device you want those notifications sent to.

I have Pushover installed on two iPhones and two iPads, and can target each individually, or all of them at once.

But, I am guessing from the following statement, maybe this is not practical...???

Another option is to setup the Hubitat Twilio notification feature. It is a paid SMS service, but Hubitat does have built-in support for Twilio. Perhaps this would resolve the need to not install software on the other phone?

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Twilio

2 Likes

If you cannot install a new app on someone’s phone, then the solutions are to either get SMTP working, or use the built-in Twilio integration, or the community Plivo integration to send SMS messages from Hubitat.

Twilio is 8¢ per message and Plivo is 5¢ per message.

3 Likes

I guess when I first looked at Twilio, I got the pricing wrong and thought it was like $40 month. I can deal with $1/month for the number and .01 per message. I can always keep costs down by using PushOver for me and this for anyone else.

Will give it a try -- thanks!

2 Likes

Might be location, but I tried sending 7 messages and was billed .0763 about a penny each.

1 Like

Yes, the pricing I indicated is off by a decimal point! Thanks for catching that!!

1 Like

@Pegasus While I use pushover myself (with both my wife's and my own phone), how come you just didn't use the Hubitat app? It does the same thing as pushover. (With the exception of changing the alarm sound on alert levels)

1 Like