Filtrete 3M-50 Z-Wave will not pair?

Bought a Filtrete 3M-50, and while the thermostat seems to think it is paired (It says "Link" under the little radio antenna symbol), the Hubitat never sees it at all.

The WiFi module is not plugged in at all, I want this to work over Z-Wave, not WiFi, as it seems that thermostats on WiFi are targeted for intrusion, and I am not sure of the firmware level of the thermostat.

The Z-Wave module is a model RTZW-01 Firmware 9.0

I have followed all the instructions to the letter, I have factory reset the thing several times, but each time, the thermostat seems to think it is paired, but the Hubitat stays mum, even with the thermostat sitting directly next to the Hubitat.

Can I buy a vowel?

Did you try to exclude the module first before trying to pair it?

The thermostat or the radio module? Resetting the thermostat might not reset the radio module since they are separate.

The device will only pair as "device" most likely but other users report that the Generic Z-wave thermostat driver works for these.

1 Like

OK, that was a surprise. Exclude did result in a "Unknown device excluded" from the Hubitat, and then the pairing worked.

So, batteries out for days, factory reset, all these things do not erase a memory of a past life in a different configuration for a Z-Wave device?

Or does Z-Wave lack a state machine all together, and there is no telling what a device thinks about the world when it wakes up from a coma?

I have no idea how to reset the radio module... it has no buttons. Nothing but a connector to plug into the thermostat, so I am guessing that it gets reset when the thermostat does.

Like I said, when you factory reset the thermostat, it might not have factory reset the z-wave module, since it is a separate module. I don't know how this thermostat's reset works.

I wouldn't assume that. What I would assume is that you can exclude from any Z-wave controller. So, just like you did....go into exclusion and that will reset the module and make it ready for inclusion.

It has nothing to do with state machine and everything to do with the z-wave protocol and how it works. A device will try to connect to the network it has been told to connect to until it is told not to. That's just how the standard works. Nothing to do with this particular device.

You can see this with brand new devices as well. If it was paired to a test network at the factory for QA testing but not excluded from that network it will not be able to pair either. So, it's just easier to always exclude before you include.