Fibaro RGBW controller built in driver stuck on effects mode

The On command from the driver wont turn the device on anymore? I will see if I can figure something out. Possibly some parameter that overlapped with the ZEN31 driver and is now set incorrectly. Although, they should have all been hidden since its not the correct device, the only one you would have had access to was the effects parameter.

I will compare the manuals and info on the two.

1 Like

Correct. Remember I used the Universal Device Scanner as well, which may have something to do with it.

The scanner should not have done anything harmful, it sounded like it did not work to scan in your settings anyway. I am digging into that device right now.

Just confirmed on my ZEN31, it does not respond at all to the request for parameter info, so yours probably is in the same boat. Its a newer standard, possibly required on new devices with 700 chips (or maybe only for 800).

The ZEN31 param for effects mode is 157, which according to the docs I found does not exist on the Fibaro device you have, so using the effects commands from my driver should not have had any effect. This matches the deviceType and ID you posted (0x0900, x0x2000): Z-Wave JS Config DB Browser

Have you tried just unplugging and restarting the device? Maybe it got locked up.

No dice on that. Should I reset it or do you want to try and dissect what went wrong?

Change the device type to Device. That lets you clear out some stuff that might be from the old driver. Change back to the one you want. Be sure to hit Config each time you change it.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I hit the "Delete all states" as well. It cleared everything out, but strangely the 'On' still doesn't work with the system Fibaro driver. (After hitting config) Setting color and level will turn it on, and 'Off' works... But not 'On'...

1 Like

Yea, I forgot to mention to mash all the buttons.

According to the compatibility list the only supported device is the FGRGBW-101, which I think might just be an older model of what you have, probably has same settings and whatnot. I loaded up the system driver on a virtual device, there are pretty much no settings on there. So I have no idea what it is doing under the hood.

Have you tried setting the level for each channel to 100 from the system driver? Did it just get dimmed down to 1% somehow?

I don't think my scanner tool or the ZEN31 driver could have even done anything that would have caused it to stop working.

If you want to dig into it more you could use the Basic Z-Wave tool to read all the parameter settings, and/or set them back to the defaults per the manual. Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

Otherwise a reset and pairing it again should get you back to working as it was before. The Z-wave "replace" feature is not working right on 2.3.7 right now, if you would have used that, so you may need to pair it to a new node.

That's very odd, have you checked the logs for any errors being generated?
Usually setting the level and On send the same type of command to the device.

Seems 'On' is being confused with setEffect... Or they are somehow linked.

Is the lightEffects list missing from the device page now? Normally a configure should set everything up again, but only if the driver is coded to do that.

Just thinking if that is missing maybe it is causing an issue with whatever the on command is trying to do with the setEffect function.

Not having much faith in this driver right now.

This seems to indicate the Zooz RGBW Dimmer system driver works on the 442, maybe it will work right on your 441 as well? Fibaro RGBW Controller - #15

Although the whole reason I made the custom ZEN31 driver was due to numerous complaints about the system driver having issues....

1 Like

Yes, I'm officially condemning the system driver.

Both the system Zooz RGBW Dimmer driver and your Zen31 Advanced handle on/off correctly. The system Zooz RGBW Dimmer doesn't have a color palette though, so I'm using yours. However, the color pallette does a weird thing when you setColor: it changes color and then immediately levels down to off. But I can still work with it though, so thanks!

@bcopeland not sure if the Fibaro system driver is bugged, or maybe made for the "101" model as the compatibility list indicates, leaving no support for the "441" model?

I think the system Zooz driver might have the setColor command only on the "color" child device.

For my driver, try these two settings. If the White/RGB setting is off, it tries to automatically make sure that both the RGB and White are not on at the same time, it could be not working right with your device. I would for sure turn it on to allow free control. The Force brightness setting, could try it both ways, see if one works better than the other. This was to avoid the main device level being very low on accident.

1 Like

I believe the reason it was turning off after setColor was this:

When disabled, setColor works as intended.

Ok that is odd but glad it works. That just makes the driver send a refresh shortly after a change is requested. I guess when it gets the refresh request it is not done transitioning and is setting it back to what it was before, which it should not be doing.

Let me know if you find any other quirks with my driver, if it needs a minor patch to work better with your device I can make an alternate version for you.

If the manual made more sense about how the effects modes worked I could make that work for yours as well. This is all it says, just 1-10 and nothing else...?? I could just make it cycle through 1-10 but no clue what they all are supposed to be.

1. Starting predefined program when device set to work in RGB/RGBW mode (parameter 14) - relevant for main controllers other than Home Center 2 only.
    Default setting: 1
    1-10 animation program number
    Parameter size: 1[byte]
1 Like

It's actually on a rather slow transition, seems like 2 seconds... The transition parameter does not change it. It must be refreshing before the transition is complete, but for it to turn off it would have to have been off or level 0 at some point in there... which it never is. Odd.

The system Driver lists the first 5 effects correctly: 1) Fireplace 2) Storm 3) Deep Fade 4) Lite Fade 5) Police. I can report back if you want to add the others.

Played around with the Basic Z-Wave Tool. That revealed some interesting things. First I set it back to Device, wiped all states, and then set it to the system Fibaro RGBW driver and hit configure. Then I ran the Basic Z-Wave Tool.

Parameter 12 is set to -1. "Maximum Brightening Level", range of 3-255. Manual says default is 255, but I'm not able to change it for some reason.

Parameter 72 was set to 9. I was able to put it back to 1. I am guessing Next/Previous Effect is supposed to cycle through these... Manual says something about starting predefined effects, maybe so it runs the effect automatically upon switching on?

There's an extra pdf link back next to Param 14 for recommended input/output configurations (and a giant QR code). Haven't wrapped my head around that yet. My LED strip is just 4 channels plugged right in and the Param 14 is default. From the descriptions I would think "Rainbow" might be what I actually want...

I was able to change everything else where needed, and nothing else popped out as odd except these. Parameter 12 being negative and unchangeable seems like a problem though.

-1 is the same as 255

It’s the difference between a signed integer and unsigned. The hub assumes all parameter values are signed integers and coverts them.

I have a little formula in my drivers that converts them back to unsigned.

1 Like

Aha! Good to know. That must explain why I couldn't set Parameter 1 to 255.

Yes, when using that tool to set it you need to use the signed value, so it goes 0-127 then wraps around to -127 to -1 (= 128 to 255)

For Parameter 14, yes it is very confusing, I starred at those docs for way too long yesterday.
The different RGBW modes are only useful if you have a 4-button switch attached to the inputs.
For rainbow mode you would need to set each channel to 3, so 0x3333 (in hex) which is 13107 for the actual parameter value in decimal.

Oh... I also meant to ask, did manually changing parameter 72 make the effects work on that device? Otherwise I am not sure how to make it start them. The ZEN31 as soon as you change the setting it goes into effect mode.