Feedback from a new Customer - Rule Machine Needs a Better UI

I think I figured out duration based logic - it's quite counter-intuitive but I think it'll work:

What If the garage door is opened 20 minutes before you go into night mode?

I don't think it would ever close on its on.

That would make sense if you triggered on closes instead of open, but there's no sense in opening with a "Wait for condition" that you already know will be true since that's the logical result of the triggering event. I'd just use a delay or an alternative set of actions as suggested above.

Good point if it's been open for more than 15 mins I want it to close. :man_facepalming:

Trigger: mode becomes night OR grarage door open

Actions:
Cancel delayed actions
If mode is night
Wait for condition garage door open
Close garage door Delay 15 min
End of

Your first attempt earlier in the thread would have worked fine. Not exactly what you want but it would close 15 minutes after night mode if open.

Trigger
If mode changes to night
Action
close door wait 15 minutes

Duration based automation seems needlessly difficult in RM - I was trying to have the following:

Trigger: Night mode = on
Conditions: Night mode + garage door = open for <15 mins*
Action: close the garage door.

*the intention is that it's a safety feature - I dont want the wife coming home and still being in the garage when night mode kicks in and closes on her.

I am pretty sure what I wrote will work. It will run when the mode is at night and the condition will take effect instantly if the garage door is open.

If the garage door is open at any other time it will verify it is night via the if statement.

1 Like

Cheers, I'll give it a go.

And for clarification the delay will need to be marked as cancelable and this will allow you to open the door multiple time and reset the 15 min count down

1 Like

Personally I've not found anything that I couldn't do but I suppose it all depends on your use case.

Isn't that the same with anything new that you try?

I do agree with this but there is a dedicated forum for webCoRE.

In the end it's all about personal preference. We all want and prefer different things and to have choices on the platform is great.

1 Like

That is the trend, yes. It started with mobile apps where the ethos was "do not provide instructions, If the UI isn't intuitive you've failed". But I come from the days when every bit of software came with a hefty printed manual that was about the only reason for the huge box lol. Somewhere in between is good. This is the one area where I think ST compares favorably to HE. Fortunately I like solving mysteries :slight_smile:

3 Likes

From my point of view i have no idea how to code and like to just do the basic tinkering but i've found rule machine not to bad after playing with it for awhile.

4 Likes

If you close the door through automation , that is a risk you take. I personally wouldn't do that, but that's me. When I initiate our good night routine it will close the door if it is open, But I know the wife and I are in the house and in bed.

As to leaving it open I prefer a notification that just tells me that the door is open. I have it set to repeat every hour. It sends me and my wife Notifications on our phone and announces over our Alexa devices. I never have it close unless we initiate it.

3 Likes

While it is true that webCoRE doesn't have the best documentation it excels beyond it by having a plethora of real working examples that can be loaded (using backup codes) so you have a framework to work with. There is nothing quite like seeing a piece of code working in a real world application as opposed to instructions and snipit samples from a book. If you can think it then chances are somebody already has a piston that does it.

And the nicest thing I have found (not necessarily related to webCoRE) is there is a large swath of people willing to share their code and ideas, just like it was in the early days of personal computing before people became money focused on their skills. Its a great time for home automation.

5 Likes

Quite True, I've now switched to manual triggering of night mode via a virtual switch and Alexa voice command and have remove the timer altogether.

1 Like

The ease of use and relatable (as a programmer) IDE were major pluses for me. Like you said the ability to share things really makes it great.

edit: I have not used WC in a while but glad it's still an option.

1 Like

Silly question, but if we have webCORE and Node-Red why don't/can't HE officially support than instead of re-inventing the wheel? - from a guy who has no idea about coding

1 Like

Get this done

1 Like

Probably because they didn't author them. Microsoft supports adobe but if you have a problem with an adobe product you call adobe support. Hubitat can only be expected to support their own hardware and software.