[FEEDBACK] Building a Withings Integration

From the time I laid down to the time I saw the event in HE was about 4 seconds. Considering I’m sure the device takes a second or two to “figure out” that I laid down in pretty happy with that speed!

1 Like

I've tested several times today. It has been 4-5 seconds to report in and out of bed. I can live with that as well.

1 Like

Agreed. Not something I need to be instant. But it’s fast enough!

I’ve been using IFTTT for this, and always been quite surprised how quickly it updated.

I have some sleep data now so I think I can do something with it. That said, I don't think it actually sends the sleep data to the cloud until morning. I was kind of hoping it was "realtime". I had an RM rule such as "when we fall asleep, automatically turn off the tv" in mind. I don't want it turning off just because we're in bed, only if we're asleep. If I'm right, we can't really do that because it'll say "you went to sleep at 1am" but it won't actually send that to HealthMate/HE until you wake up in the morning. I will do some testing tonight to see if I'm correct. However, since their IFTTT integration doesn't have a "when I fall asleep" trigger I'm thinking we won't be able to do this. If I'm right, I don't know that it makes sense to implement the SleepSensor capability because by the time I set it to "sleeping" you've already woke up.

As a note, I compared the measurements from my apple watch to the sleep sensor and it is crazy accurate! I have to assume the watch on my wrist would do a better job of tracking heart rate, right? Withings said 61, my watch said 62. Pretty damn accurate! Both agreed that I didn't get a great night of sleep and had similar (30 min difference) sleep durations. I'm pretty impressed with this thing!

Crazy isn't it? When you look at it you think how in the world?

I think I read on their webpage or somewhere else that when it detects you get into bed, it shuts off the wireless function. Probably why we can't get real time info...

You might be correct on that. I know there are people out there who get really worried about electromagnetic radiation during sleep. People think it causes cancer. Then there are people like me who realize I have an always-on Hue bulb and an alarm clock on my nightstand, my iPhone sitting on a Qi charger, and an Apple Watch on my wrist, every night... and so I'm not super concerned about the little bit of EM that this device under my mattress emits :slight_smile:

I wish they'd add an option to turn on the wifi radio for those who don't care. Anyway, I'll add some code to check to see if it's available though. Who knows? Maybe it reports every so often or something. For "fell asleep" I wouldn't need real-time (no way is it 100% accurate anyway!), I just don't want the TV on all night!

Now I can't find where I read that at, because I can't find it now. But I know I didn't dream it LOL.

Found it,Does Sleep / Sleep Analyzer emit Bluetooth or Wi-Fi signals while I sleep? – Withings | Support

So sounds like we won't be able to get sleep state data :frowning:

Probably pointless, but I posted a suggestion on their forum API and IFTTT notifications for "fell asleep" and "woke up" – Withings | Support feel free to up vote it! :slight_smile: The login to their forum is your HealthMate user/pass

2 Likes

Done. Can't hurt to ask. I can see huge possibilities for this request! I mean they're tracking it, why not expose it?

1 Like

FYI there is also a vote button:

Might as well do both, more likely someone sees it!

1 Like

Hmmm I am pretty sure I slept last night, but checking my device today, the cupboard is bare :frowning: Nothing registered at all. Nothing in the logs either, not even a mention of the app or driver.

Any idea on what I could have done wrong?

Do you have debug logging turned on? There should be log entries every 30 minutes at minimum

Yeah its been on all the time mate.

And there is NOTHING in the logs? You're using the latest code? In the app properties of the child app, do you see that refreshDevices is scheduled to run every 30 minutes? I'm curious of everyone else's experiences but I did get sleep data last night

Posted the official release thread here [RELEASE] Withings Integration

3 Likes

Got this fabulous new app/driver working.
And integrated with my new dashboard.
Take a look! :smiley:

(we get in bed, the AC goes on, the dimmed light goes off)
captured (1)

3 Likes

That's awesome! I love what you've done with the dashboard. I appreciate that your icon shows your wife taking up most of the bed :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yeah so true. But I've also explained to her that it is very easy for me to swap her out for someone else now, or even twins :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes