Feature Request - Rule Grouping (organisational only)

My list of rules is becoming unruly - I have about 40 at the moment and that will be nearer 50 by the end of the day. I've messed around prepending rule names with various words/letters to try and keep them organised but it always ends up a mess or I can't be bothered opening each rule to rename it when my OCD forces a change of naming schema.

Request - It would be so much simpler if we could create grouping for RM rules. No function at all - just the ability to create a rule group e.g 'My Lighting Rules' or 'My big fat rule that I split into multiple smaller rules'. For simplicity, a rule could only be in one group and it would be much like "Rooms" were when they first appeared. Options to expand all/collapse all as Rooms has. Tagging @gopher.ny

4 Likes

Im using this hint for rules and devices as well. I do use emoji to start the rules names with.
:bulb: for rules related to lights logic
:lock: for security rules
:fire: for heating rules
etc.

This way, all rules related to lights are grouped together and same are the devices. Its much easier to find them based on those emojis.

10 Likes

OK, I guess everybody else "liking" this post knew exactly where to get those emojis.

To help other ASCII fossils that pre-date the common use of emoji as characters, I'll be the old guy re-stating common knowledge.

On a Windows 10 PC -
WINDOWS + .
and type the term you are searching for.
That's a Windows button and a period together.

:thermometer: Temperature Monitoring - Beer Cooler

Indeed a very helpful idea to organize rules.

On a Mac there is an emoji and symbols viewer you can add to the menu bar by modifying your keyboard input settings.

1 Like

I've wanted this for a while and currently do the Unicode symbols in the title thing. But recently I have also thought having group variables would be a great addition, so you can break up larger rules and not pollute hub variables.

Or just use Function-e to bring it up.

1 Like

Good ideas but the list is just as long and needs a lot of scrolling to find what you’re looking for.

Rule groups are the answer!

2 Likes

Such a great idea I never thought of doing this.

I would like this too..

I started the starting with LIVING: or BEDROOM: etc.. but i would rather it be more tree like.

hope this is something that can be done pretty easy.. it would be nice in all apps giving that ability.

I have been going though all of mine and renaming it. I don;t like the emoji's cause they are distracting.. but i would like to compress the groups with the double arrows like the apps can be compressed.

2 Likes