Feature Request: RM5.1 Time Since Event exceeds %some_variable%

Would it be possible for the Time Since Event to be compared to a variable in addition to the explicit hours:minutes:seconds already provided? It doesn't look the %some-variable% syntax works anymore in (most places), since RM5.1 provides the (much cleaner) drop-down for choosing variables everywhere except text fields. (But that option does not seem to exist for the Time Since Event condition.)

On a much smaller note, the only comparison "option" is "exceeds". For completeness, "does not exceed" might be nice, although that can be worked around with more complicated conditional/rule logic.

My apologies for making so many posts on the new RM5.1 featuresā€”I've been experimenting with them to see what they are capable of, and sometimes poking into corner cases. @bravenel don't get me wrong: I'm really liking the Sticky Triggers and Time Since Event in RM 5.1ā€”for me these are the biggest improvements in RM since the big upgrade from RM4 to RM5.

I'll think about it, although it's a bit problematic just from a user understanding perspective. It asks for hours:minutes:seconds. But ultimately, that's not a time, it's a duration of time, i.e., a number. So with a variable, a number of what? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? It's a mess, IMO.

Meanwhile, Time Since Event is a condition, and all conditions allow one to specify NOT this Condition. So Time Since Event less than x is simply NOT Time Since Event exceeds x.

1 Like

Could the variable be in seconds, and the interface for this condition type look something like the interface for delayed actions? Those are also time durations:

1 Like

Man, I never would've thought to try this, but it works like a champ! Thanks for this nugget, Bruce - it's really helping me out with one of my rules here.