Feature request - Indicate which apps are installed

Would it be possible under the list of "Add Built-in Apps" and "Add user App" to indicate which apps are allready installed.

3 Likes

Not a bad idea. Maybe just denote it with an * or something.

I’m not understanding. If the app is already installed, wouldn’t you see it on the apps page?

4 Likes

It would be more convinient to see which apps are allready istalled in the list of apps when you try to add and app

1 Like

If you add an app that is already installed, doing so just takes you to the installed app.

2 Likes

Understood. But why would you initiate an install if its not needed. It can cause an issue if a bug ever come into play.

It doesn't install anything, it just takes you to the app that is already installed.

2 Likes

I will rest my case. I just thought is would be nice to know by just looking at the list of available apps. Like in the Android or Apple store if an app is installed it indicated as installed and it gives you the option of opening it.

2 Likes

Or how about once an app is installed it isn't listed in the apps that can be installed, or is grayed it indicating its already installed? I can see some value to this, but it would not be on my short list of nice to haves.

4 Likes

Some let you install another instance the same way as the first. Or at least they did last time I wanted to do so. I hope we still can!

4 Likes

Some apps allow multiple installations of it. For example I have multiple installations of MakerAPI for different integrations on one of my hubs. I maintain the Google Calendar search app and allow multiple installations of it so you can use different Google Accounts since each main app is tied to a specific Google account.

3 Likes

Yep same for me, with MakerAPI

3 Likes

I guess my perspective is that to install a new app, you have to first go to the Apps page. That page already has a listing of every installed app. And as @ritchierich and @Inge_Jones have pointed out, some apps permit multiple instances to be installed.

So from my perspective, it is unnecessarily duplicative to indicate elsewhere that an app is installed, and for apps like MakerAPI, it can be misleading.

@bobbyD - how about closing this thread?

2 Likes

The only think is, what if the OP didn't intend to install more than one instance of an app that does allow it? Then the indicator could be a useful extra clue. But not all that essential given that I'd expect someone to be aware of whether they had one installed unless they were randomly selecting an app, which doesn't really sound sensible

3 Likes

They still have to go to the App page first. And that information is on the App page already, isn’t it?

Yeah, it's best to install an app for an actual purpose in which case you'd know that it needed installing, rather than just idly scroll till you find one without an asterisk.

To me this request should be a no brainer. It doesn't hurt anything and is very easy to do. A little graphic of some sort (ie. a check mark) next to the App name would go a long way.

Yes, you could go and scroll through your app page and then go to 'add app' but really the only page that is relevant is the one you are currently looking at (add apps)! :wink:

I think it just comes down to, if it makes some happy ... do it. Every little thing counts when it comes to ease of use.

2 Likes

Every change has to be scheduled into someone's expensive time. Maybe they could keep an "also requested" bucket to dip into when there is no work to do and they need something to fill in until time to go home.

I am not disagreeing that it would be nice to have for some and not a hindrance to the rest of us - as well as not the most difficult task to program. But that's not really all there is to it.

2 Likes

That's were it currently is :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I usually don't chime in on these community held opinion sessions. But I just wanted to say you summed up my thoughts pretty nicely. Well said.

That being said whether it's worth the expense of the time investment for the devs is a complete other question.

2 Likes