Feature request - Grouping / nested rules

Hi

I have had my Hubitat for only a couple of months, and already the number of rules are getting quite immense.
It would be nice to be able to group rules by room, use, or other common features.

Cheers,
/Martin

6 Likes

Maybe just allow a tag to be added during creation or edit and then the main window shows all untagged and tagged rules grouped together?

I have found myself naming them to batch them in order at least but a tag or something would be nice to organize them. Plus if it allowed for multiple tags and you could open a rule from those multiple different groupings that would be good. You could have a rule involving motion detection for the bedroom lights... Tag it with "Bedroom; Motion; Lights" and you could open it from any of those three groups. Any untagged Rules stay in the main list and visible right at the main level (no need to select the group first).

2 Likes

A general tagging option would be great

1 Like

Some people put an emoji as the first character of their device and Rule names so that they group appropriately.

That is naming the rules (with a symbol). Not much different, but shorter, than just putting "Bedroom - SOME RULE DESCRIPTIVE NAME" or such like I do now. An emoji is an alternative workaround though.

But having groups, with expanding lists from that group... that would keep the screen cleaner looking also as well as organizing it.

1 Like

But having groups, with expanding lists from that group... that would keep the screen cleaner looking also as well as organizing it.

Exactly!

Tags would be a great addition

Emoji's work well for me until they come up with something better.

When your children leave home, they aren't going to know how to use a light switch.

:grin:

My wife already doesn't... You should see her puzzled face when we visit friends.

1 Like

My wife didnā€™t know how to move them to the down position :rofl:...thatā€™s why I started the Automation project.

4 Likes

I would much rather see a tagging mechanism with tag filters. So I can tag an app instance as bedroom, lighting, motion controlled. Then a filter of any kind can show me a subset of those rules.

1 Like