Feature Request: Ecobee Integration App - Set Program

It would be great to be able to set the Ecobee Program via this app. This is useful if you prefer to control setpoints with Ecobee Programs but choose to control when the Programs run with Hubitat.

The community app Ecobee Suite Manager supports this functionality, however, the app is resource intensive and is over kill for my needs. For this reason, I would prefer to use the much thinner Built-in Ecobee app if it supported setting Programs.

2 Likes

This! I also use the built-in Ecobee app. I've had to resort to changing the set points instead of changing the program. It would be great to be able to do this.

1 Like

+1 on this one. Matching programs to modes makes the monstrous ecobee suite redundant for me too.

I use the community Ecobee suite for just this reason. What absolutely baffles me is that even Ecobee's own app and device interface don't allow the user to set a program directly. Just mind boggling that you can create a custom program but not set it "on demand. "

It's been a year :slight_smile: Let's try to summon @bobbyD :slight_smile:

So many things for our developers to do, only if we could add more hours in a day :wink: This enhancement is not currently on the to do list, but Ecobee will eventually offer Matter integration. Wouldn't that be nice to both run their thermostats locally and be able to change comfort settings on demand? One could hope, right?

5 Likes

??? so I can quite scouting for a local option (leading contender at this point is the Honeywell T6 Pro zwave) and just be patient for a new Ecobee to be released?

I know how hard y'all are working, and it's crazy appreciated!

Let me see if I understood what you mean; once it is exposed via Matter, Ecobee will probably expose the comfort settings via Matter API, and it will just work with no additional work on your side will be required?

I do not recommend going this route if you have anything other than a single-stage system.

Phrased bluntly, the Honeywell T6 thermostat is horrible at staging. I had it in my previous home with a two-stage heat-pump, and replaced it with a GoControl because staging control was so poor. If you have multi-stage HVAC equipment, existing ecobees are really good at fine-tuning staging control.

AFAIK, ecobee has not announced any plans to support Matter in existing or new products. So, for now, the point is moot.

2 Likes

"We see Matter as a great addition to our thermostats; we’re committed to open ecosystems and ecosystems that matter to our customers. We haven’t made any announcements [about timing], but you’ll see some relatively soon,” CEO Stuart Lombard said in an interview ahead of the launch of the doorbell.

4 Likes

Matter is usually a software update, there is nothing needed to be changed in the hardware as the communication protocol doesn't change (wi-fi over TCP/IP in case of Ecobee). There is absolutely no technical reason why existing thermostats won't support Matter.

1 Like

I didn't look at my thermostats specs to see if they have enough space to load Matter. There is the chance that they don't have enough space to load Matter, which is not a small chunk of code.

2 Likes

I stand corrected, there is one technical reason :blush: