FE599 Saga

@liquidskin thats what I am thinking.

I'm sending back to Amazon and getting a zigbee yale.

Thoughts?

1 Like

You won't regret it. I used to have a Schlage BE469 and a Schlage FE599. While they mostly worked, they picked inopportune moments to not work.

I replaced them with a Yale zigbee keyless deadbolt and a Yale zigbee keyless lever lock about a year ago, with zero regrets. Both Yale zigbee locks have been flawless.

2 Likes

Thanks all.

For the record. Anyone fighting FE599 lever locks.
Record this thread.

I'll replace with Yale zigbee. Consider no updates a good sign.

5 Likes

100% yes! If you have the option of return it’s a no brainer. I’ve had excellent luck so far with my Yale YRL236 zwave plus lever lock. I know folks also do well with the Zigbees

I think Schlage, especially non Zwave Plus, have issues. My Be469 were great for a long time, until they weren't. Now they chew batteries weekly, they don't report battery accurately, they are just not great on the Zwave side of things.

It isn't just Hubitat either. Lots of reports of troubles with them all over the internet. It isn't helped by the fact Schlage doesn't have or won't allow firmware updates which very likely would fix these problems.

And they don't sell Zwave Plus or Zigbee upgrade modules either, which is sort of dumb because I won't buy a new lock from them where I would buy an upgrade to keep my old locks.

I really really like the Schlage hardware-wise. But their Zwave implementation is just awful.

Install a repeater as close to the lock as you can, then one next to the HE. Do a z-wave repair and the lock will not only be more reliable, it should stop chewing batteries.

Just a last question, what firmware revision is on the lock and what's the manufacture date?

They didn't start acting up until 2.2.3 or somewhere thereabouts. All 3 locks worked perfect for way over a year on Hubitat before that. I even paired them in place, which many people find to be impossible to do.

And I have over 10 Zwave repeaters, both close to and far away from the hub. I don't think more will help. No other Zwave device drops off or has problems, other than these stupid locks.

These locks were on Wink before they were on Hubitat, and they didn't always work the best there, Hubitat was an improvement over Wink.

I really like the Schlage stuff as far as appearance and build quality. Like I said, their Zwave implementation just plain sucks. And there is no way to fix it unless you buy new locks. If I am buying new, I won't buy a Schlage which won't support updates, and does not sell parts that could fix their issues.

Was that question for me? Not sure as you didn't quote anyone or appear to reply to anyone specifically.

@neonturbo Yale will be here tomorrow.

I really like Schlages reliability of their locks, but this sealed the deal for me on further investment into the company.

I certainly hope a Schlage representative monitors this forum as I've reviewed countless threads with no definitive resolution outside of the Connect model which I have and works perfectly within HE.

I really appreciate EVERYONES help and assistance on the matter.

Please have a blessed and safe holiday season and drink a pint for me!

Until next time.

Liz

2 Likes

Elizabeth,

I suggest at this point that you contact Schlage support, which has always been very good. Tell them your problems with the FE599 and your success with the Schlage Connect. Schlage has a 3 year warranty on electronics, which is where your problems are. It’s possible that your lock is bad.

They will replace the FE599 with current firmware model or you might convince them to replace it with another Connect if you pay the difference.

I have and no response yet.

1 Like

Schlage support finally responded and said they do not offer OTA firmware updates and there was nothing they could do to assist further.

I'm a brighter side, the Yale zwave paired and worked within seconds.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Merry Christmas.

5 Likes

I have the same issue. I bought two Kwikset Z wave 5 button model 450241 locks. One refuses to include after dozens of attempts. The second lock paired immediately but it paired as Schlage FE599/BE369 Lock.

I have a 5 button Kwikset 912 w/Zigbee - paired instantly and has been working great for the last couple of months. Really recommend the Zigbee version of any model lock over Z-Wave these days. So much less hassle in my experience with both Kwikset and Yale.

Thank you for the input. I returned the Kwikset locks and ordered Yale, I'll see if that works. If not I'll take your advise and go to Zigbee. I'm new to home automation and Hubitat. I've been avoiding Zigbee because I have have a very busy WIFI network and I'm concerned about interference.

For Yale and Kwikset locks, changing radios from zwave to zigbee is easy. FWIW, I don’t know if my WiFi network is busy, but zigbee locks have worked very reliably.

2 Likes

Channels 15 & 20 are usually good...

Yes, I have looked at the channels and spread where there is overlap. I've installed some WIFI cameras that have a recorder and they are very sensitive to interference so I have channels that must stay open. I'm hoping the Zwave Yale locks work but if not I will go to Zigbee. Again thanks for the help.

1 Like

Okay well good luck :crossed_fingers: . Let us know how it works out!!!