Favourite tabletop remote/scene switch?

I have a few random zigbee buttons I've tried over the months, but I'm looking for something a little more... elegant? that I can keep on my coffee table/side table for occasional use.

The picos have that interesting pedestal, but I've never actually seen one in person and also not in lutron, so not going to jump in just for a pico.

The main ones I have on my radar are:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004986809020.html

Looks nice in pictures, although looks like it would sit flat... but at least a pretty square device so having someone 3d print a stand for it wouldn't be too bad? Possibly bigger than it needs to be?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003040683765.html

Looks like a nice small form factor, but possibly pretty cheap build?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005034250340.html
In theory matches what I'm aiming for, has a stand. Not sure about capacitive buttons? Also looks most elegant, but I'm cautious if it ACTUALLY is?

If you are in the US, Philips hue could be an option with their button, dimmer switch, or tap dial. There are lots of stand options via Etsy that go with them. You do not need a hue hub to get them to work with Hubitat.

2 Likes

Yep in Canada- I have hue bulbs but no accessories.

Don’t like the specifically labeled dimmer switch but the tap dial is interesting - but also rather expensive!

Hopefully it's not really that big, but you never know!

1 Like

:smiley: Not quite, here's a Smatrul version with a Hue Smart Button for scale.

With the new firmware for IKEA devices, they might be worth a look.

1 Like

I'd add my vote to a Hue Tap Dial... but with one caveat.... I'll get to that later...

On the positive side...

Like all Hue stuff... It is a solid, well made product, in my view. Compared to the Hue Tap and the Hue Dimmer's, the dial is a step up from these. It feels solid, weighty and something I am happy to use. I have also made use of all the mounting options. I have one black dial mounted in my bedside drawers, using the mounting plate with 3M strips. I have two more white dials magenetised to the side of my fridge without the need for the mounting plate. I also have one sitting freely on my XL mousepad in my Study, choosing black to match the mousepad.

The dials also perform very well. I chose to have mine paired to a Z2M instance and use Node RED to activate scenes and disable motion lighting in HE using Maker API. This was only because the custom Hue integrations did not support multiple taps and doing this in HE at the time seemed to be difficult. Things may have changed... and I have not looked at the recent discussion on this....

This is the caveat.... If you want to do multi-tap or long-hold triggers, it would be worth doing some more research to understand what your options may be.

Like anything Hue, I also expect very good battery performance... another useful feature, worth considering in a table-top device.

I have the (4) scene switch and they work well. Also use zwave 4 button remote. I'm not sure they make them any more. I think they have been discontinued.

Here is a photo of the dual Pico stand. Stupidly expensive, as I recall - but I like them.

If you do 3D printing you could probably make one. Also, the Pico comes with a little plastic tab which, I think, is supposed to be a minimal wall hanger. A bit of woodwork and one of those tabs and you could have something that looks better than the Lutron plastic stand.

Thanks but as mentioned I’m looking into non-pico options :slight_smile:

I'm using an Aqara Cube T1 Pro. I love that it's small and unobtrusive--whatever side is facing up, that scene is triggered. I also have it set up for brightening when turned clockwise and dimming when turned counterclockwise (or do Canadians say anticlockwise like the Brits?)

Obviously don’t have one in front of me, but isn’t that a bit of a usability nightmare?

Like if you placed a die on the table and said “okay make side 6 up” I’d have to pick it up, shift it around, find 6, then rotate to place it up?

Like kinda neat, but seems FAR more form over function?

Yes, that's how it works, but I don't find it to be cumbersome. I have one die for lighting scenes and one for music, so it's a nice matched pair that takes up very little space (they're in my kitchen).

Top right is Aeon Wallmote
Bottom left is Aeon Quadmote and next to it is a Minimote.
All are rechargeable!

Can tap or press/release.

Also Aeon is manufacturer and AEOTEC Wall/Quad/Mini-mote are device names.

1 Like