Fave Lux Resource

Hey everyone. Do you guys have a favorite outside resource for lux? We had a big storm yesterday and I was wishing the outside lights had come on during the worst of it. So, I’d love to find an easy API source for LUX in my area—any suggestions? Right now, I don’t have any sensors pointed outdoors, although that could be a plan B. :grinning:

A good reason indeed!

OpenWeatherMap is pretty decent. While there is a built-in integration for it, I would recommend this community integration:

1 Like

Thanks so much!

1 Like

Phillips Hue outdoor motion sensor measures lux. I actually use it for all of my lighting automation restrictions. It's the only Phillips device I have and I now see why their prices are so high. Their quality.

1 Like

I just use a motion sensor that also reports lux (Dome DMMS-1, which doesn't seem to be available at the moment, but there are many others--including at least one option actually meant to be used outdoors, the Philips Hue sensor I see mentioned above). Mine is inside and just pointed outside from a window in a rarely-used room. It's better than even my weather station since it gives a better idea of the light level around my house and whether I might want interior lights to turn on, but that's another option.

Hyper-local, both in terms of what it reports and not needing Internet. :smiley: Your preferences, of course, may vary.

3 Likes

BTW, is possible to get the OpenWeatherMap three-day tile into ActionTiles? I really like that

Sorry - I don't use Actiontiles,

1 Like

Not to worry—very glad for your recommendation :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would just pony up and get a Philips Hue outdoor motion sensor.
I've been using these to fetch outdoor Lux readings for 5 years now...

5 Likes

EDIT: Answering the Basic Rule/Rule Machine question in the other thread instead. :slight_smile: (I'd suggest only posting in one location. You might be able to delete the above post, or perhaps will be able to in the future if you haven't been around the forums long enough yet.)

2 Likes

Sorry. I tend to be a bit random but will try to do better. :slight_smile: