Fast Motion sensor with Illuminance

Try this. Put a fresh battery in with reverse polarity for about 30 seconds. Then pull it out and put it in the right way. I've brought a few sensors back to life doing that.

3 Likes

Thanks, so you can pair the Hue motion sensor directly to HE without a bridge?

1 Like

Yes indeed!

I am looking at the Indoor Hue Motion sensor, as they are £29.99 at Amazon UK currently.

Are both Indoor & Outdoor fast, and do both measure illuminance level?

Just about to try the reverse polarity trick? @aaiyar how did you find this out?

Thanks, Did as you suggested but still dead as a dodo.
Yes new battery and put in the wrong way for 30 secs or more.

Its only 2 years old and disappointed with the lack of response from Fibaro.
Will consider alternative device manufacturers

Yes. I have both the indoor and the outdoor and they both measure illuminance.

My outdoor is fast. Here’s what others say about the indoor paired to HE.

Thank you, yeah just read these comments.
I am assuming its because its zigbee :wink:

I have both internal and external hus motion sensors.
They work well for me and are as fast as any other sensor I have tried.

One thing I will say, if you are worried about the speed then stay away from z-wave.
Zigbee sensors appear to be much faster.

Andy

I will second this. I love the outdoor model but the indoor has a poor range compared to the Iris V2 sensors I snapped up from Ebay and the motion sensing is a bit slow compared to the outdoor model. Only downside of the Iris is there is no light sensor :frowning_face:

Thank you for the comments
I bought the Fibaro for the illuminance as well, so I can determine the ambient light levels, at the front and back of the house.
Then I selectively activate lights based on motion as well as ambeient light levels

So now thinking of purchasing 2x Hue Outdoor Motion sensors to cover front/back of house as well as recording the illuminance

1 Like

Very happy with the Hue outdoor. Expensive, but worth it, like most of the Hue stuff.

If you have a Hue bridge, there are firmware updates for both indoor and outdoor sensors. I have Iris V2, Hue, and Sylvania motion sensors. I have never had to re-pair any of them and they all have been fast. The indoor Hue can be chatty if it's in a high traffic area, so I wouldn't want bulbs repeating for it. Mine is at the far end of the house on a different floor than the HE and no issues.

Curious how/why this would work. Have you ever tried just shorting the battery terminals (w/o battery) for some period of time?

Fibaro support came back to me. THey advised me to Reset the sensor (Hold B Button for 5 secs and then on Yellow Press B again). THis brought it back to life...

And BTW this z-wave sensor seems to be pretty quick

No, never tried that. This was suggested to me by an ecobee support technician to bring their remote sensors (which are zigbee like) back to life.

I was just thinking of the hardware. If the sensor survives reverse voltage, there must be some protection against putting the battery in backward. Else the electronics would be damaged. So perhaps the reversed battery just brings the capacitors to 0 and allows a better power on reset.

Just a thought.
I would be best to try a short before reversed battery in other devices in case they can't survive the reversed battery.

Glad to hear you got it going again.

I would also recommend the Zooz outdoor sensor to anyone looking.

It only sends motion at the set lux level. This cuts down on battery usage. It has a Red LED to show motion area during setup, then you turn it off, again for battery life. I also got it for the white housing matches my houses gutters.

2 Likes

Can HE take advantage of the room temperature feature of the Hue motion sensors? Iow, can I read the temperature and use that in an automation? E.G. turn the ceiling fan on if motion sensor says > 75 degrees? Thx

Yes, you can easily do that in Rule Machine

2 Likes

Thx Ken. New to HE and was hoping this was the case w/ the Hue sensor. Just ordered some...