Fan/Light - Inovelli Red vs Zooz Zen30

The Inovelli website had a small hosting problem this morning that it is recovering from. (Should be back up tomorrow). I’d post my copy, but it’s a little too large.

1 Like

Ha wow. Perfect timing.. just the day I get my switch installed

Regardless, when it’s back up.. where’s the best instructions on how to add/set it up?

Best instructions are actually at the site you can’t get to, but I just sent you a message with a couple of links that might help get it done tonight still.

1 Like

Looks like the site may have recovered. One thing to check if you are still having pairing problems:

Hold the A + B buttons for about 5 seconds, this should give you an indication of what the mesh strength is at the switch - green is good, red says that it's having issues finding the hub.

GREEN = GOOD :thinking:. Good suggestion though. Will keep trying, maybe exclude

Did a factory reset on the switch, and FINALLY Hubitat found the device!!

Thanks for your help.

With regards to naming the device, can I give it two names?

1. ABC Fan
  2. ABC Light

How do I distinguish what is done when using Alexa? When using Rule Machine/Motion Lighting?

Also... in the device settings... WOAH there are a million settings. A bit overwhelming...

1 Like

Glad to hear it finally worked. The switch should have created two chid devices, one for the light and one for the fan that can be named.

As for the settings, yeah quite a few options - I usually go down to the child devices and alter them there. Also what I use for the rules and Alexa.

I have a ceiling fan with integrated light / fan speed controlled by an included remote.

Would either of these switches allow me to ditch the remote completely without having to get the 28 ft ladder back out to rewire the fan / remote relay?

The fan is this model Home-Decorators-Collection-Federigo-48-in-Integrated-LED-Indoor-Nickel-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit-and-Remote-Control-SW1618BN from home depot

Sorry for bumping an old thread but this one seems pretty comprehensive sans my question.

First, welcome to the community. I have some Inovelli Fan/Light Switches (lzw-36) and they require climbing a ladder to install to install module in fan housing. Probably the only way to incorporate the existing remote is to buy a Bond Hub for approximately $100 (www.bondhome.io). I had that previously and switched to the Inovelli because Bond cannot track status of fan if someone uses native remote. Also, it quit working to turn the light off or on for 2 of my 4 fans.

I now have 4 Inovellis. Unfortunately, they are not perfect but definitely better. I have had times where pushing the button to turn light off/on does not work after 5-6 pushes for one particular switch. Unfortunately, the switch I am having biggest problem with that is same location that gave me the most problems with Bond integration and the WAF is loooow.

2 Likes

I wish the hampton bay zigbee fan canopy controllers were still available.

I knew I should have bought a couple back when I got my first one working.

I bought a sonoff module, but the fan speed control sucks unless you replace the on board caps. And the light is only on/off. No dimmer.

Is the wife hard set on that fan? Can you replace the light fixture on it? I'm a fan (no pun intended LOL) of fans that take regular base bulbs. No built in lighting, or dang candelabra base bulbs.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. Wife is ultimate decider and frankly it's installed on a 2nd floor ceiling overlooking the downstairs so I literally need the big ladder to change anything. I just need a new switch that WORKS. The 25 year old dimmer switch was probably wired wrong in the first place but it certainly does not work well with this new fan.

Hey I have the Inovelli Red Fan/Light controller and my the only useful speed is medium-low, Medium is just full power, and my 10,000cfm monster fan just leaps into action. Basically the controller is worthless.

I just picked up the Sonoff iFan04-L which are supposedly pre-capped for US 120v fans. Curious if you have any advice on the Inovelli. Is it likely the caps that are making this perform so poorly?

For the Inovelli Medium Low, Medium, and Medium High all get mapped to medium

From the driver:

switch (value) {
        case "low":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",33)
        break
        case "medium-low":
        case "medium":
        case "medium-high":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",66)
        break
        case "high":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",99)
        break
        case "auto":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",1)
        break
        case "on":
            return childOn("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002")
        break
        case "off":
            return childOff("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002")
        break

Yeah I think the issue is that the lower speeds are meant for a 220v fan, or something. I read the same thing about the Sonoff iFan03, which is why the iFan04 exist[ed].

Based on the response from @thebearmay it looks like you can just update the driver. Set it up to something like:

Low, 10
Med-low, 20
Med, 30
Med-high, 40
High, 50

I just picked arbitrary values but you can adjust them to suit your needs.

I really don't think this is possible. If this had an infinitely variable speed controller, I'd be shocked. When I tap the rocker on the physical switch, it goes through the same speeds. Perhaps if does have such a controller, and can be re-programmed. I reached out to Inovelli Support to see what they say.

You would just modify the driver like this:

switch (value) {
        case "low":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",10)
        break
        case "medium-low":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",20)
        break
        case "medium":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",30)
        break
        case "medium-high":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",40)
        break
        case "high":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",50)
        break
        case "auto":
            return childSetLevel("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002",1)
        break
        case "on":
            return childOn("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002")
        break
        case "off":
            return childOff("${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep002")
        break

Unless the levels are just triggers rather than actual values. It would be a shame if they are using discrete resistors.

It's pretty common for fan controllers to have only three, maybe four, discrete speeds. Z-Wave spec for these is like dimmers and requires the device to accept values from 1-99 (plus 0 and 255, technically), but that can't make the device do something it isn't really capable of. The consensus on the Inovelli forums is that it indeed cannot do more than three, though I haven't seen official conformation.

I have one and, FWIW, notice a distinction between 33 and 34 (raw levels via a multilevel switch set in Z-Wave) that I don't see even between 2 and 32, the best anecdotal testing I think I'm able to do since my eyes certainly couldn't tell the difference between much else (but I'm sure could I'd these were truly as distinct as 33 and 34). The fact that their driver--which I did not use for my testing--works like this is likely aso de facto conformation. Also, the wall controller steps up and down between these three speeds (plus off). Hard to believe they wouldn't have done more in any of these places, or at least promote it in their product marketing, if they could. :slight_smile: