Fan for 15 minutes or until I tell it to stop

I want to use Alexa to control a virtual fan device that triggers the real HVAC fan on for 15 minutes...or I can tell Alexa to stop the fan anytime within that 15 minutes if I decide to.

Basically...

Trigger virtual fan turns on

Turn real HVAC fan on

Delay 15 minutes or until virtual device fan turns off
Turn off real HVAC fan

Turn virtual fan off

BTW - I'm using the Ecobee Suite Manager. It seems like it would expose the fan as thermostat mode and temp changes do work. Maybe it does, but all I get any way I ask for the fan are the 4 other fans in the house...which Alexa knows by name...but when asking which one never lists / mentions the ecobee fan.

Thanks!

Use a "wait for event" with a timeout of 15 minutes.

Thanks! will give that a try...never used that one yet!

1 Like

Just to clarify, the event would be “virtual fan turns off”.

That was so simple thanks! I was stuck trying to use IF and WHILE type rules. RM is a wonderful interface.

1 Like

Yes. But it is useful to bear in mind that hubs tend to perform better when a really complex rule is broken up into a few simpler rules. At least that's been my experience.

1 Like

There is also a very simple "auto-off" app that can do the same w/zero programming. Options are good. :slight_smile: This can also do an "auto-on" if you want a device to turn on after x minutes off.

1 Like

Interesting...THANKS!

1 Like

I actually just posted what I'm doing in a different thread. The commands might be a little different as I have an ecobee.

But I have 3 virtual switches, one for 1, 2, and 3 hours. All accessable from Alexa. I also have installed a app called one at a time, which allows only one of those 3 virtual switches to be on. But besides that, it does what you are looking for, and then some.

I only need the fan to run for 15 minutes while I open my studio door to vent the room better between breaks. If I want it to stop sooner so the HVAC vent noise stops... I tell Alexa to turn it off. The "Wait" command works perfectly for that. The RM interface is easier every time I learn how to navigate down in its menus. :wink:

If you want a really simple and lightweight implementation, there is an app for this in the Simple Series applications. Look at the Simple Switch Off Timers app.

3 Likes

Cool...I somehow missed it when you released those. :slight_smile:

2 Likes