Fan Devices - Google Home Integration

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a big shoutout to the HE devs for all the hard work!

I know I'm not alone in using Google Home as my primary smart assistant in the house. Unfortunately, HE reports all fan controllers (GE Smart Fan Controller in my case) as dimmer switch "lights".

This causes all sorts of mayhem with light commands and bulb groupings with Google Home.

Is there any possibility of getting fans to report properly withthe G.Home Fan API?

Thanks so much!

4 Likes

Same request, but for the Hampton Bay modules...

What most of us do is make a dummy room and put the fans in the dummy room. That works around them turning on and off with the lights in a given room, but still allows you to control them from Google home.

Workarounds are good. Proper implementation is better. :grinning:

4 Likes

While I agree and use the same method myself, it still causes the fans to get caught in catch-all lighting phrases: "turn on/off all lights".

I would kill for a proper implementation, but I understand that it's probably not as simple as it sounds.

Eh, better for some maybe... Would be the exact same for me.

I never use "turn on/off all the lights", so I don't have any issue with how it works today.

So you're arguing against proper implementation just because you don't have issues with how it works? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Not really arguing at all. If they do it, fine. If they don't, fine.

Although I selfishly do prefer they spend their limited resources and developer time on other items that have wider use and appeal / don't have workarounds like this issue does.

There is a cost to everything. Time spent working on making this a little better is time they don't spend on other things like stability or new features.

1 Like

As a workaround for controlling the fan speed, I have an applet in IFTTT. I've added the fans to the MakerAPI. Then in IFTTT I've added an applet from Google Assistant containing a text string. I then merge that text string into the url for the maker API and it allows me to set the speek of the fan from Google Assistant.

That's pretty clever!

1 Like

Thanks! I've used the IFTTT recipes from Google Assistant for a lot of different things. They are quite useful.

I second this request

As of the last time I checked, Fans weren't supported by Google Assistant. I don't know when they were added but they're there now. Looks like it was updated only 12 days ago.

http://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/guides/

@patrick, any chance of getting fans, windows, doors, etc. added to the Google Integration?

2 Likes

My Modern Form fans show up in Google Home as a fan (linked to the Modern Forms cloud which I would like to change) but they only have an on/off, not a speed control.
Custom Local Driver would be better after which Google hopefully will still see it as a Fan

It won't. The HE/Google integration doesn't support fans. Only dimmers, switches, color/color temp lights, and thermostats. I never did get an answer from @patrick about adding new capabilities to the HE Google Home app.

2 Likes

Just adding my support for this feature implementation request.
The lack of proper fan handling with google home is a non-starter for my household... So much so that I have (hopefully temporarily) migrated back to my smartthings hub (which does handle this correctly) until HE is updated to report fans to GH properly.

2 Likes

I'll add another vote for fan (and lock) support

Well... It has been many months since the Google integration came out and they haven't given any indication that they are going to expand it.

So you may be waiting a while... But only they know for sure.

1 Like

Another workaround, using scenes to make the fan report as a switch:

AFAIK this doesn't support multiple speeds though.