Fan Control: Low, Med, High, Off

Yeah, that's why I figured you would do. Just be careful with the if off turn on rule. You reset the device by toggling the power rapidly 5 times in a row. You might end up causing a reset in both devices.

Good point. I can't imagine that I would be likely to toggle it that rapidly, but it's a definite risk. I'm leaving it for now. I have many other switches to replace before that becomes an important one. Unless it becomes a "switch off" problem. Besides, I'm tired of redoing that quad box. It's a pain in the nether regions to get everything in there...

I hardwired my HBFC, and put a Lutron Pico Remote in place of the old switch. Now we have local control of the fan via the Pico, and automated control of the fan via Hubitat. It's a "Win-Win" scenario.

1 Like

Another great idea, but I haven't dipped my toe in the Lutron pond as another thread speaks. So...effectively WAF=0 if not actually. LOL

If it's a real problem, I think a "Switch that does nothing" might end up being my best solution. Solves all the problems excecpt forcing a reset of the HBFCs really. And I can always throw a breaker...

I wonder. Could one wire a Zen26 or similar "on off" switch with a line a neutral and a ground, and simply set it such that it triggered a virtual switch? Sort of a nano without being a nano....

Scott

An Aeon Nano is a "switch without a switch" in the sense that it has the electronic switch of the load but no physical switch.

I think what you're suggesting is to not wire in the Load and yes, that's entirely feasible. Just wirenut the Hot and Load so the circuit is always on and then wire the Zen26 or similar as you suggest. It doesn't need a load to function. It would be more like a Pico in that sense :slight_smile:

Inovelli, by the way, makes a switch that can be configured to work that way.. You wire it up normally: Line, Load, Neutral and Ground and then tell it to NOT tie the face switch to the electronic switch. They can operate individually. eg: physical switch tells Hubitat, Hubitat decides what to do, including telling the 'electronic switch' to activate. In other words, You can have a wall switch that operates Light K but you'd like it to operate Light M. Physically operating the switch tells Hubitat to turn on (or off or dim) Light M, and to not even touch Light K. Some other switch, similarly configured, causes Light K to operate. :slight_smile:

Interesting.

I've been looking at the Nano's, but haven't found just the right use for one yet.

Thanks for confirming the no-load idea. Might not be worth it, but it was interesting thought anyway.

I've looked at Inovelli a couple of times, and they're never available! I'm watching the next production run for sure.

Thanks!
Scott

Hoping I can tag onto this thread...

I have TWO 14287 GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Fan Control switches. I am trying to make a rule with a button that will alternate the fan between "LOW" and "OFF". I've been tearing my hair out, only to discover what I think is the issue. When the rule executes a command, the "current state" of the switch is not updated. i.e., when the rule executes a "low" fan speed command, the fan then obeys that commands, but then the next time I run that rule, when it looks at the current state of the fan "IF Fan is "LOW"), it doesn't execute properly, because the status from the driver still shows "off". So, for example, I'm currently looking at a fan running at low speed but the current state shows both "speed" and "switch" to off. I even have a "refresh device" command at the beginning of the rule.

I'm using the "GE Smart Fan Control" built in. Is this the correct driver?

Thanks!

EDIT - I downloaded and installed the "deprecated" driver and that works as expected. Something is still amiss with the in box driver.

I've been ripping my hair out for the last few months on this same issue. I finally gave up and replaced my GE 14287s with Lutron Caseta Fan Controllers. I already have a lot of dimmers so it seemed like a good idea to put them in rather than go through endless troubleshooting exercises.

1 Like