Failed IP reservation leading to network problems. 2.3.0.124

Is there any way to just remove the old router from the equation entirely? Like off the network, powered down, in a drawer? And can you post a screen shot (minus any PII if any shows up in there) of the new router's DHCP table? Also what's the make and model of the new router?

I took all the WAPs offline, tried again, not sure if it was the issue, but the reserved IP worked this time. Will reconnect WAPs and try again.

Yeah... I dont suppose you have a handy diagram of your network architecture?

Nope, sorry. I think it is pretty normal, with a few switches. Only exciting things are the WAPs, which are at endpoints and one is used as a switch as well. I am going to go through them with a fine toothed comb….

Yeah I suspect those WAPs are doing more than WAPing... or somewhere someplace you have another DHCP server on the network. I had a pretty convoluted wireless network all relying on Liinksys Velop nodes. Finally ripped it all out and went with a 100% Unifi network and it was a game-changer. Cost a small fortune but worth every bit.

1 Like

Thanks again! I will check out Unifi.

Just curious, which Unifi products do you use?

I use the Unifi Dream Machine Pro as my network appliance, connected to a 24 port distribution switch. From there I have riser cable going to four access points (2 U6-LR and 2 U6-Lite) and four 16-port PoE switches.

1 Like

I installed a UDM Pro last weekend and had the same issues. Even if I set a static IP on the hub and rebooted it, it still got an address from DHCP. It was really frustrating but after several reboots the static IP seemed to stick. I really couldn't pin down what the issue was though.

Then I set up a separate IOT network and ran into problems again. However, I definitely made a mistake with my setup. I configured a static address of 10.0.2.8 on the hub, but I didn't change the network assignment for the port the hub was plugged into, so it was still connected to a network with a 10.0.1.0/24 address range. and it ended up with a 10.0.1.x address.

Perhaps HE checks somehow to see if the static address you configured is valid and if not, reverts back to DHCP. That would probably be a good thing, otherwise the hub would be inaccessible until it was connected to a network with the proper address range, and that could be a real pain to straighten out.

Ubiquiti APs are just dumb APs, so they shouldn't have any bearing on the IP address assigned by DHCP.

I understand the "small fortune" comment, BTW. I figure this stuff is going to last a lot longer than the consumer grade stuff it replaced though.

1 Like

I always set my reservations within Pfsense(the router)and it never fails. If you set a static on an end device, that could cause a conflict, as the router's DHCP could have used that address already or might in the future if there is a power blip and several devices reconnect at once. I set a very small DHCP pool, 5 addresses, all the rest are static. So I know right away when anything new shows up, if it belongs it gets a static address

1 Like

Often DHCP servers will check to make sure another device is not using the reserved IP before assigning it. If you have multiple devices using the same IP (perhaps due to multiple DHCP servers in the network or static configuration, like Rxich mentioned), you will have all kinds of problems with reserved addresses.