External beam sensors and link to Zwave - how?

I'm planning my security setup and thinking of using some kind of beam sensors at key doorways and across property entrance at the street. What parts would I need to link some IR or other beam sensors into my home automation - I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.

I was looking at something along these lines for the sensor.

Thanks

You could probably connect the output from these to the input of a contact or water sensor. There are a few that allow for the connection of external leads.

Thanks. Just had a look at Fibaro modules - would something like the Universal Binary sensor work for this purpose? They have a diagram indicating use with an alarm system and sensors - I guess that's what I'm doing but without the alarm system.

1 Like

Probably. But it would likely be cheaper to go the route that @Sebastien suggested.

1 Like

Ah OK - yes if I can piggyback onto an existing unit that accepts an input - got it. Ideally I'd prefer a power unit so will have a look and see. It may be a long cable run though as planning on these beam sensors at the front gates so will see how many meters until I can get to something accepting an external input for those but others inside the house should be OK

1 Like

The zooz relays have dry contact inputs that would probably work too (assuming the device provides NO (or NC) dry contacts.

1 Like

I'm not sure if the sensor I linked has NO or NC outputs.

First off, does NO/NC mean normally open/normally closed or something else?

The advert says it has a "signal output opening", "signal output closed end" and "signal output common".

Pretty obvious I know little about these things - I'd have thought the sensor unit would just need a single output to indicate it has been triggered.

I am guessing that the "signal output" common could be used in some way to have multiple sets of sensors connected together but there's minimal info on the advert. Maybe I need one with a manual unless the terminology means something to those of you more familiar than I am with this.

Yes. More specifically, normally closed indicates there is continuity between the NC terminal and the Common terminal. Whereas normally open indicates a lack of continuity between the NO terminal and the Common.

Those three terminals correspond to NC, NO, and Common.

1 Like

Does Zooz sell UK versions of their z-wave devices? I think they might be US only.

1 Like

These will do the trick. They have a set of dry contacts under the hood. Very helpful. I use one for a home-made Homelink interface and another to keep tabs on my generator transfer switch (which has a dry contact output). They are also battery-powered so no AC needed.

I’ve been using fibaro implants connected to standard photocell beam breakers (normally used for electric gates) and also have them connected to dry contact reed switches. (Normally used in alarm systems for doors/windows).
These have been working perfectly with the fibaro implant for years now in my setup.

The advantage with using the implants is each one has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. You can run wire the length of your choosing and connect the implants anywhere there is a power source

1 Like

How big/noticeable are they? Do you use them indoors?

I would say they’re about 3inch’s high by about 1inch wide and about 1inch depth. Not massively noticeable really

I don’t use them indoors but there’s no reason you couldn’t.

Indoors I use motion sensors and contact sensors and several fibaro implants connected to dry reed switch contact sensors.

A few Zooz product are here in the UK - just got one of these relays ordered so all good!
Also ordered the sensors so will give that all a go and see how I get on, thanks for the support

1 Like

Try a Shelby 1. Has an isolated dry contact sensor.

1 Like