Extending RF range outdoors for garage door

I currently use a Bond bridge indoors to control RF devices including two ceiling fans and two sets of RF controlled string lights and it's worked extremely well thus far.

I live in an apartment building and our shared garage door is also controlled by an RF remote but it's just out of range for anywhere I could place the Bond bridge inside the apartment. It's obviously not rated for outdoor use, so that's not an option.

I've been racking my brain for a solution to extend the range such that I could use Hubitat to open the door. The primary use case is as a backup point of entry to the building if I've forgotten my keys or to open it for guests.

Curious if anyone has thoughts or is aware of any solutions.

it's a long shot. Can you try putting the bond bridge in the garage?

I wish. I have a balcony where I could run power to the corner (about a 20 foot run from indoors) and it would definitely be in range but it would be fully exposed to the elements. Something that could exist outdoors that's similar would be perfect but I haven't been able to find such a device.

First question would be, do you know for sure that you can "Bond" the complex's garage door and operate it w/o any hitches? Assume yes, but ....

I'm only asking that question after having run down the rabbit hole in this link thinking that a well place repeater is what you need. Like maybe one powered by your car as you sit in front of the garage door. Or maybe you have a locked storage space in the garage with a power outlet but again you'd likely be out of range in the garage.

As I got into the discussion in this link I began to doubt this was as simple and RF repeatable as I thought it might be. BUT, there are nare-do-wells using tunable software radios to intercept RF keyless entry codes and repeating those as if they had the keys....so it may be a matter of how much time you have to pursue this :grimacing:

I think I would get a long cable to get the Bond puck outside and test your concept. Then work back from there. Be that positioning the puck in the window or whatever might be EASY to get this working.

Why can't you put the Bond Bridge inside the garage? Lack of power? How is the door motor powered?

Anyway, if you can't do that, why not put the Bond bridge into a weatherproof enclosure. Something like this from L-Com:

https://www.l-com.com/nema-enclosures-5x5x3-inch-miniature-industrial-enclosure-with-corner-screws

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.