Expand Local File Storage Access to Drivers

While I think the title sums it pretty simply, I would like the ability to save local files (like the Rules can now) from my drivers. Originally I mentioned this as beta feedback for the sake of logging. However now I have a much more "necessary" case:

Saving an image that is received from an HTTP Get request. Specifically for my BlinkAPI driver, so that the driver can request the thumbnail from one of the user's cameras and then display it on their dashboard.

• I know the dashboard can already display images loaded as local files (just tried it out to be sure) and the files could be named to match so the URL of an Image tile stays the same.
  • The driver can already receive the data, it just has nowhere to store the data in a format that can be used. Right now I can toss it into strings, lists of bytes, or oddly enough I was able to create an attribute with the type of "image" (attribute "Thumbnail Image", "image") without error but the event just shows a few character string.
  • So maybe all this would require is being able to call a system function to redirect the response data to local storage and setting the file name.
4 Likes

+1
Driver access to the local storage would be just great.

I have the exact same use case, when a camera movement get detected my driver is storing the image in an external raspberry, from there my dashboard can access the last 10 images.

So removing one more external dependency would be nice.

2 Likes

I believe I saw somewhere that in release 2.2.5 staff was considering adding new capabilities. I just wanted to bump this request since 2.2.5 should be coming fairly soon I think.

@mike.maxwell @bravenel. Is there any hope for image attributes or as the op request to give access to the local file system?

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

1 Like

bump. this just seemed to stop with rule engine support. patiently waiting for driver support.