Everything Xbee

I've been on the 100D for months with no issues.

there was an update to XCTU this month which had an impact on my environment -
the 6.5.9 (and the 6.5.10 from 5/13/22) which added an included profile firmware binary. If you occasionally use XCTU - consider running the update!

https://hub.digi.com/dp/path=/support/asset/xctu-v-659-release-notes/
Firmware binary .ebl file is now included in the XBee profile when available [XCTUNG-2122

I got a Xbee2 got it all connected did a map scan
Under 24 hours later I can no longer connect to the device using XCTU and also cant recover it, I get "There is not an active bootloader in the module" and "putdata1: sent only 0 of 1 bytes"

Anyone managed to recover a Xbee2 (xb24-z7wit-004)

I recovered it, Need X-CTU Legacy Version

1. In PC Settings, set the baud rate to 38400.
  2. Open the Modem Configuration tab.
  3. In the modem dropdown box, select the XBee type you are working with
    User-added image
  4. Click Show Defaults.
  5. Check "Always Update Firmware."
  6. Leave the USB cable plugged in, and physically remove the XBee from the interface board.
  7. Click Write.
  8. You will receive an "Action Required" prompt.
  9. With the prompt on the screen, hold down the reset button while inserting the XBee back into the socket.
  10. Release the reset button.
  11. It may take up to 30 seconds, but the "Action Required" window should close and a progress bar will appear along the bottom.
    User-added image
    12.If "Action Required" never goes away or you get an error without a progress bar, then the modem is most likely unrecoverable.*
  12. After the progress bar completes, the "Action Required" prompt will appear a second time. Follow the prompt and press the reset button once.
  13. You will know it succeeded if the last line of the status prompt located at the bottom of the window says "Write Parameters..... Complete"
    User-added image
1 Like

Doesn't matter what settings I use the device never finishes initializing even after 5 mins of running trying

Does appear in route table
but thats it

anyone got a working profile for an Xbee2 (xb24-z7wit-004) as a repeater plus able to map the network

I did get it to pair once but 24 hours later it was bricked and I had to do the recovery I posted above

Let's just say I was referred to this thread by a helpful member of the community from another thread discussing...well, never mind that we don't want to light any fires here.

And BINGO, one of the FIRST posts I read is this !!!

Referring thread:

Xbee3 is very versatile with the ability to scan and map your network as well as analyze your channel it is very useful for troubleshooting your network.
But in addition it is a strong router device (or end device) making it highly recommended.
I own 5 of them 2 as end devices in my vehicles (used as arrival sensors) and 3 as routers and for mapping/analyzing.
They are one of my most used devices.

I should add that some would like these built into the hub and well that would be nice it would add to the cost of the hub.
These give people the option.

3 Likes

I have created a project that might be of interest to some people in this thread:

Hubee - A framework to use DIY sensors/actuators with programmable XBee modules

2 Likes

Just updated to firmware 1010, all seems to be working fine.

1 Like

Picked up a kit last week so I could map everything out. Didn't even think about a case. An razor blade, an old box, and 5 minutes later...

I don't remember these being this expensive. Are they in the same boat with the Raspberry Pi supply chain? (See what I did there?)

crazy price
noticed there hasn't been much stock for a while.
But you can still get the surface mount version from Digikey for a better price than that.
Still up approx. 20-30% from what they used to be though.
Weird because the government says inflation is only about 7% :lying_face:
wish I knew where they bought their stuff! :disappointed:

1 Like

I'd like to add an Xbee, primarily for mapping my Zigbee network. Can someone point me at the current versions of the gear that I will need...I'm more than a little confused about all the boards/connectors I've been seeing when I Google Xbee - I see Digi International, DigiKey, Mouser, Sparkfun, etc., and a plethora of stuff.

What should I be buying, and any recommendations for where I should buy it? (Covering my gammar bases.) :wink:

1 Like

These kits are a good deal, but there is three in a kit..

Edit: And..... there's no stock atm. :roll_eyes:
Edit2: Aha Digikey has some.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the links.

Darn...I don't need three, and don't feel like spending $100 for something I'm doing mostly on a whim/for fun. Since I have plenty of Zigbee repeaters already I just want one unit to do some Zigbee mesh mapping. I have a few Zigbee antennas laying around, so I do already have that.

Sorry to bother you, but can you point me at the "1-pack" version of this so I can monitor that and see if/when it comes into stock?

This is what I've been using; even with international shipping its cheaper than when I bought mine a few years ago: Digi XSTICK2 - XU-Z11 ZB - NEW | eBay

Ebay has a bunch of other Xbee listings as well.

2 Likes

Sorry, only know of that kit.

Maybe you can pre-sell 2 of the 3 on your local buy and sell ($35 each or $85 with a bespoke case). :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! That looks closer to what the doctor ordered... :smiley:

1 Like

There is a significant "lazy-factor" that needs to be managed... :wink:

I'm in the same boat as @danabw -- I'd love one just for mapping purposes.

1 Like