Everything stopped working overnight

I got my hubitat last week. Yesterday I set up a zigbee light strip and a smart plug in my basement to turn a light on and off. They worked flawlessly; I could change the colors on the lights, flick the lights on and off, all that sort of fun stuff.

This morning, nothing. I can't control either device. I tried removing and rediscovering them, but they're not found.

I've tried rebooting the hubitat and resetting the zigbee radio thing from the menu. Neither of those has helped.

What do I do? A $130 gizmoo shouldn't become a hockey puck in a week.

Reread your post - what devices are these? specifically what brand and type.
What version hub?

Hub Details

Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version

Hardware Version

Rev C-5

The plug's a zigbee plug made by hibro.

The light strip's a SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Indoor Starter Kit.

Are these the only repeating zigbee devices you have? The symptoms you describe are indicative of a poor zigbee mesh. The Hubitat documentation has an excellent section on how to build and maintain a robust zigbee mesh.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

1 Like

They're the only devices I have.

I can't pair either of them with the hub anymore, so I'm not sure how I can rebuild the mesh?

If it helps at all, the light strip is in the same room as the Hubitat (maybe like 8 feet away) and it still can't even find that. Should I go and unplug the smart outlet from the basement and just see if I can find the lightstrip by itself?

Oh and it looks like I have link posting power now, so

Here's the exact smart plug I'm using:

And the light strip is this fella:

Have you factory reset the light strip and the plug?

Okay. I moved the smart plug to the same room as the hubitat, factory reset it and I was able to pair it again.

So my Hubitat has not broken itself in a week and I am much more relaxed and happy.

Reset the strip and it too paired again.

Ok. I'm back to where I was yesterday when everything worked. Thanks @aaiyar.

I'm going to try leaving everything connected again, but I'll have the smart plug in an outlet closer to the hubitat and see if everything still works tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

Yes, slowly build your zigbee network outwards away from the Hubitat. In general, it is recommended to have one line-powered repeating device for every 5-6 non-repeating battery powered devices.

Good luck! And welcome to Hubitat!

5 Likes

I’d take a read HERE, How to Read Hubitat's Zigbee Routing Table and check out your device routing.

1 Like

Well today my hub appear with a factory reset. I read this can happend on a corrupt DB but yesterday when I went to bed all was fine..... Never happened before :shushing_face:

Thankfully the backup works great...... but I'm worried why this happened after almost 2 years after purchase the Hub.

Do anyone face this recently?

Sounds to me like there may have been something seriously wrong with the DB. There will be no logs to really tell.
Some things that you can check:
Is the hub staying cool enough?
Anything with power happen recently? or within the last week or so?
Have you been experiencing any latency with your device responses? Possibly a bad device somewhere in your environment?
Have you force removed anything from your hub?
Do you have any other hubs running in the house?

1 Like

I'd add check/swap Power Supply also to that list. Maybe try plugging in a different outlet.

2 Likes

Thank you all.... actually no is my response.... I haven't change anything recently but one thing is for sure the weather is getting hot here (but this happened at night so I will discard that).

No more restoring from factory so far..... no idea what happened and I probably never know....Thanks to suggestion read I always keep two or more manual backups.

I'm considering purchasing these Hibro plugs, how have they been performing for you? Do they report energy usage?

Keep manual backups and stick the hub on a ups. I use this and it runs a long time on just ups power. My wife unplugged it for a day not knowing what it was and it was still running about 25 hours later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLD32RP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thank you Lewis. I was thinking long time ago about this option and this model you are suggesting me is very convenient as I can see I can have different output voltages and 27000mA is rasonable for sure.

Now the problem is try to bring it to Cuba, LOL.
Thanks again...

1 Like

What online stores deliver to Cuba? Alibaba?

Something like this would work:

1 Like

That's a big problem here Lewis
To purchase in any store online is very unsafe here as the mail is not trustable.

We need to use some friends or relatives in USA or Canada to buy. But I will managed don't worry buddy. It will take more time but is the only way...

Thank you for your concern my friend,
If someday you need something from here just let me know.

1 Like