Everlasting level change with a group/sync of lights

Ok, I still have problems with my lighting. Especially levels. I have tried the official Mirror app, the Dimmer sync app by @JasonJoel, the Switch bindings app by @jwetzel1492 and manually with RM4. The levels are synced to fast which results in a wobble going up and down. Because the sync tries to get all devices on the same level and the transition time is longer the sync already starts to act. The Switch bindings app is the app that has the best results. Because you can set a switch response time and a master device. But despite of these settings I still have situations where I have lights get in a sort of loop between 0% and their original brightness level if I (or some other app) try to turn them of. To get them out of that wobbling between two ever changing levels I have to unplug them physically or restart HE or make one of those apps stop interfering the switch.

How do other people work with this?

Need to know the types of devices being used (Master and slave), what hub they're on and what level commands are being sent.
I can't speak for the other apps, but mirror only sends the master command once to each of its slaves.

Hi Mike, It's about hue bulb connected thru a hue bridge on the one side. On the other side it's about virtual switches. What I want is not possible on HE I think, and I certainly don't want you to spend your precious time at it to be fair. I tried the mirror app because I thought it would maybe be programmed differently then the others, but no. I tricked the mirror app because it is designed to work one way... But I added the same devices the other way around at the same time... It looked like it worked... But then circadian light app changed the levels a little and that started the mayhem. My goal is to have a "group" device or a virtual device that represents the status of any of the child devices on my dashboard... Just like in the Hue android app with rooms. If one light of a group is on, the group is on. And you can turn the group on and of with that group button... So if a scene or or some other app would turn 1 light in that group on I can see on my dashboard there is any light in that group on.

The Group app could certainly be changed to support on off state mirroring of its members, level could be an average of child device levels, where a switch on would contribute 100 percent, and off 0...
Color and color temperature get tricky.
Given a hypethic group consisting of a ct bulb and 2 rgbw bulbs and a dimmer...
You then send a ct command to the group, they all turn on if off, if already on the ct changes on the three color bulbs, and the group device color mode changes to CT, so far so good right?

Then another app sends a color command directly to one of the RGBW bulbs...
In this case what does the group device report?
It makes my head hurt...
This is the reason the group device doesn't even attempt to reflect the state of its members.

My concern being if we implemented on off, then someone would want level, then someone else would have an expectation that an average of all child member attributes should be reflected in the group.

Given enough time I would mirror how Hue deals with this, but that's just it, time...

Now having launched that out there, if someone cares to suficiantly reverse engineer Hue's group aggregation algorithm...

Yeah, time. I know the feeling. So since I just read between the lines that the implementation of Philips is somewhere (as low as it gets) on the wishlist, I'll just work with what is possible at the moment. Maybe install more motion sensors to avoid ever having to use the dashboard to switch lights... :joy:

LOL
Automation is good, button pushing is bad...

I so agree on that. But before all motion sensors are in place, the wife wants to be able to push those buttons :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.