Event & State History Size

Could somebody please explain what these are for ? Aside from the obvious; I get that by reducing the parameters I store less elements, but my forum searching hasn't uncovered anything definitive.

I reduced both of these from the default of 100 to 50, but my system still goes into the red by the end of the day until cleanup. I suspect if I reduce them to 30 this should suffice, but what am I giving up?

Does the hub or any app actually use this historical data for anything?

1 Like

I believe they control the number of events or state changes stored in the device or app event history. I use mine for troubleshooting issues. Not sure they have any other use. The general guidance used to be to set both to 11, and I think that still applies. You can also use the runtime stats tab to see which devices are storing what. Obviously a device with many parameters takes a lot more space per event than a device with 1 or 2 parameters.

Thanks for the info. It's odd that the conventional wisdom of the forum has the parameters set to 10/11 but the unit comes set to 100 out-of-the-box.

The wisdom evolves.

1 Like

Anyone know if I can set the Event & State History to zero to turn off logging completely? Would this speed things up? Would this break anything?

Actually, I see now that the lowest value allowed is "1".