Evemotion Matter Shades / Do I Need a Thread Border Router?

I'm a total newbie to Matter/Thread, so this may be a dumb question...

I am currently shopping for motorized shades. About a year ago I installed a number of Bali Z-wave (Somfy motor) shades in my second home, and I'm very happy with them and how well they're working with Hubitat. However, in my primary home, all the windows are too large for the Bali shades, so I'm having to look at alternatives, one of which is EveMotion Shades which, I understand, offer smarthome integration with Matter.

The EveMotion site seems to indicate a requirement that I have Thread Border Router to enable the Thread protocol in order for my HA hub to communicate with the shades, which I'm assuming would be an Apple HomePod or AppleTV, etc. However, when I look at the December Hubitat release notes, they indicate device support for EveMotion Matter Shades, which would lead me to believe (somewhat hopefully) that I can directly add EveMotion shades to my Hubitat without needing another device (i.e. a TBR) in my network.

Is that the case? Can I simply include EveMotion shades directly into my Hubitat network? Or do I need a separate Thread Border Router?

If the devices are Matter over Thread (as opposed to Matter over Wi-Fi -- the main alternative -- or something else that can work directly with your hub, like a wired Ethernet device), you'd need a Thread Border Router. Looking at the product description for the Eve MotionBlinds, they appear to be Thread, confirming the need for a TBR. As you mention, a recent Apple TV or HomePod could fulfil these duties.

For more, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

Thank you @bertabcd1234 . I've researched a bit more since posting my inquiry, and now realize that some Amazon Echo products are TBRs. I already have Echos in my ecosystem for voice control, so I won't need to acquire an extra/new device as a TBR - I'm covered.

Now, I just need to make a decision on the shades. If anyone out there already utilizes EveMotion motorized shades (roller shades, in particular), and would share their experiences, I'd appreciate it. I'm very interested in the sound level of the EveMotion shades.

I've always found my Bali (Somfy z-wave) shades rather loud. Recently, I had to do a warranty replacement for one of them - the motor stopped retaining it's top & bottom setpoints - and the replacement I received was a newer-generation motor, which is significantly quieter (and moves just a tiny bit slower) than the older versions. I'm now struggling with the [expensive] temptation to replace all the other shades just to get the newer/quieter motors (the new motors unfortunately don't fit into the older shade rollers, so I'd have to get entirely new shades).

Thought I would share an update in the event anyone else is considering EveMotion shades and using Matter over Thread. It's been a "journey."

The first major hiccup was that I ordered Blinds.com-branded Premium Solar Shades after Blinds.com confirmed for me that they also use EveMotion motors. These were about 15% less expensive than the EveMotion-branded shades. Well, as it turns out, the EveMotion motors in the Blinds.com-branded shades are Bluetooth ONLY motors - they aren't the same ones that are used in the EveMotion branded-blinds and they cannot be upgraded to Matter. Fortunately, Blinds.com was very accommodating, given they had provided me inaccurate information, and replaced the two shades with EveMotion-branded shades (I still had to pay the difference, but that's fine).

I installed the blinds, connected to them using the Eve app (iOS). So far, so good. They're very good quality shade motors, relatively quiet & smooth (quieter than the prior-generation Bali Z-wave Somfy-motor shades). And the app has loads of features for scheduling, even one that will close the shade based on the orientation of your window.

Then came the firmware upgrade to Matter. Perhaps I should've figured this out myself, but in order to upgrade these motors to Matter over Thread, they need to be able to connect to an existing Thread network and, while I purchased/installed an Amazon Echo 4th Gen, which is both a Matter controller as well as a TBR, the Eve app piggy-backs on Homekit and won't recognize the Echo's thread network, only the Homekit one. So, I had to buy an Apple HomePod mini and set that up as a Matter hub. Somewhat annoying, but I figured I'd hold on to the HomePod Mini for a few days until all my shades are converted to Matter, then just return it. I have no desire to introduce a third HA platform into my ecosystem.

After successfully upgrading the shade motors to Matter, the last step in the process, as guided by the app, is to reconnect the shades to the Eve app, now running Matter over Thread. I simply followed along. What I didn't realize is that the HomePod hub then becomes the primary Matter controller, and I would need to generate a secondary Matter code to allow the Amazon Echo to connect to the shades (and a third to then allow Hubitat to connect to them). I could not figure out how to get a secondary Matter code through the Eve app, or even through Apple Home. So, instead, I unpaired the shades from the HomePod/HomeKit network, then paired them to the Amazon Echo as the primary Matter controller. That finally worked (had to hard-reset the shades to break the connection to the other controller - painful task given how high these shades are mounted). I then generated a secondary Matter code through the Alexa app and used that to pair the shades to Hubitat. So far, so good. I finally created a third Matter code in the Alexa app in order to re-pair the shades to the Eve app. However, whatI then realized is that because the Eve app relies on the HomePod Mini as it's secondary (tertiary) controller, if I get rid of the HomePod Mini, which I intend to do, I will no longer be able to use the Eve app to control the shades. That's not the end of the world - I can still control the shades with both Hubitat and Alexa (and the ugly remote that comes with the shades) - but the app does allow you to do some other things like adjust top/bottom limits, set a favorite position, etc. which I will miss. I will just have to do that manually using the program-button on the shades directly, if ever needed.

Now that everything seems to be where I need it, I'm left with Hubitat using the Smartwings Matter Shades driver - the only one I could find that works with these shades. Unfortunately, it's very basic and lacks one key parameter that's important to me...battery level.

Curious if anyone is using Matter over Thread shades and know of a more robust driver?

**UPDATE: If the EveMotion shades are already paired to the Eve app, and you require another Matter ID to pair to a different controller/hub, you need to click the "Turn On Pairing Mode" button at the bottom of the device details page in the Eve app. Not the most intuitive button descriptor, but that's how you get the additional Matter ID from the Eve/HomeKit primary controller.

Please post the Eve Matter shades fingerprint- as shown on the device web page ‘Device Details’ section.

@kkossev , do you mean this information?

This is just for one of my two shades already installed. I'm expecting the remaining three shades to be delivered today and those will be installed over the weekend. As mentioned above, I'm using the "SmartWings Matter Shade" driver - seems to be the only driver available for Matter over Thread shade motors.

1 Like

Hi @SF_Sig- yes, this is the information that I needed.
The fingerprint shows that the Eve MotionBlinds exposes the PowerSource Matter cluster (0x2F), i.e. it most probably reports the battery level.

If you are open to experiment, you can try the Matter Advanced Bridge package (available for installation from HPM). It was tested and confirmed to be working with Zemismart, Aqara and SwitchBot blinds/shades. And it provides battery percentage reporting, if available for the specific device,

TBH, I am just curious how it will work with the Eve shades.. : )
You can always uninstall the package if not needed later.

@kkossev - thank you. I did go ahead and install the Matter Advanced Bridge package, and I switched the driver on one of my shades (and followed your installation instructions) to Matter Advanced Bridge. A lot more data popped onto the page as a result, but I was not able to control the shades - there were no open/close/set position buttons available. So, I then reverted to the SmartWings Matter Shade driver and, while operation is now back to normal, a lot of the additional state data and state variables that your package displayed remains on the page which is kind of cool. What I'm not seeing, however, is a specific state referring to battery level. Here's an image of the device page, with the driver now reverted back to SmartWings Matter Shade...

Should I have selected a different driver from the Matter Advanced Bridge package (or does that package only contain that single driver)?

The Eve shades should appear as a child device. After the discovery process finishes, press F5 in the browser to refresh the web page - the link to the child device will be at the bottom of the page.

Component devices

The correct child device driver is assigned automatically.

CURTAIN child device type

OK, understood. I didn't notice it had created a child device. I reset the driver to Advanced Matter Bridge, and re-initiatlized/re-discovered, and now have the child device and it's working fine. And a battery level is also shown, which is nice.

However, this means that for every shade in my home, I'll have the shade as a primary device with driver set to Advanced Matter Bridge, and then each shade will have a child device which is the actual shade, correct? So, rather than five devices, I'll end up with five parents, each with a child. This would then require me to go back and change all my rules that currently reference what is now the parent device, which isn't a big deal, I suppose. I'm sure there's a technical reason that's over my head for why it's implemented this way. I was hoping to just be able to select a different driver for my existing device and get the additional data/functionality.

Or, now I'm wondering, should I have created a virtual device of type Advanced Matter Bridge, and that would have then found all my shades with the discovery process?

1 Like

The best solution will be when @bcopeland adds the battery percentage attribute in the HE inbuilt Matter driver in a future platform update.

It’s better to return to the stock driver at the moment. You can use the HE inbuilt device driver to clean up the state variables, unused attributes, and the scheduled periodic jobs from the bridge driver.

2 Likes

Well, something odd happened. I'm now seeing a Battery Level state on my other shade using the SmartWings Matter Shade driver - I never modified the driver for that shade during this experiment. Unless I was somehow hallucinating, that battery level indicator was not there before.

It would seem I now have everything I need with the SmartWings driver.

1 Like

There is a very useful app - Device Details Display utility.

The HE inbuilt SmartWings Matter Shade driver features battery percentage, indeed.... I should have checked earlier.

1 Like

Maybe it doesn’t show up until the device reports a battery level.

Installed the Device Details Display app - very useful. Thanks for the recommendation.