Errors with Hue Integration

Over the last few days I've been having really sporadic activation from my Hue lights. These are integrations that have been working flawlessly for a few years. I see a lot of messages in the logs. I've rebooted both the Hubitat and Hue hubs. I did change the Hue zigbee channel a few times thinking there was maybe an issue with the channel but I think that was after I was having issues. Lights seem to all work fine from Hue app. Curious if anyone has thoughts as this is highly disruptive to my home and domestic tranquility! :weary:

This is a C-7, and I did update to 2.3.7.145 over the weekend.

Here are some of the examples for the past couple days:

Many more of these repeated...

Could your Hue Bridge IP address have changed? Setting a DHCP reserved address on your router may help (or a static IP on the Bridge itself, which I think it allows, but I'd normally recommend the former). It's supposed to be re-discovered if this happens, but it could take some amount of time, and I wouldn't be surprised if enough HTTP requests might build up in that time to cause this error.

I just set a static IP today to rule out anything like that, will see if it helps, but the errors are sporadic and I'll command a group of say 9 lights to turn off in my living room and maybe half of them would so I don't think it's a "wrong IP" issue as some commands are getting through. It seems like something is getting bogged down somehow (likely the Hue hub but not sure why that would be). I have done a lot of work on my overall system over the past couple of weeks, adding a number of new Zigbee devices (not Hue), maybe they are somehow giving it a hard time?

Also I assume those 408's are HTTP 408's meaning the hue hub likely replied with that.

This is really causing me fits over the past week. Periodically it seems like the Hue hub gets briefly into an unhappy state. It starts with a series of these errors that don't seem connected to any hub action. I assume it's the Hue polling service? Is there any way I can see more detailed logs for this?

Then when the hub actually tries to issue commands to devices shortly after, this happens:

Then it will just start working again 30s later. Meanwhile my lights are left in funky states.

I thought maybe it was related to a recent Hue update but no one else seems to be complaining. I have been making lots of changes to my apps over the past couple of weeks but no changes to my hue devices in particular (no add/remove, etc). It's not a network issue since it's hitting the right IP and it's very transitory. Also those HTTP responses I assume are coming from the Hue hub, which would mean it's the right IP.

I'm getting a bit desperate as this is wreaking havoc on my home, is there a way to reauthenticate the connection (tokens, etc.) between Hubitat and Hue (bonus if it doesn't involve me re-adding all 20 Hue devices and repairing tons of apps that use them)?

Hace you tried something simple like "rebooting" your Hue Bridge? Also make sure it has a good networks connection (maybe replace the cable?).

You might also want to check Apple Stats and Device Stats for anything alarming, plus the rest of Logs/Past Logs to see if there are more errors that might be causing general hub troubles.

Polling uses GET, not PUT, so it seems unlikely to be the cause based on the name of the handler method. But you can reduce or disable polling if you want.

You're supposed to be able to do this inside Options in the integration app, then it should see yo don't have a valid token and ask you to re-link. But if it ever works at all, this seems unlikely to me--it's just a username/token from the Hue Bridge that is either on the allowlist on the Bridge or not. (If you do this anyway, take a backup of your hub before so you can restore of this option doesn't work.)

Actually speaking of restoring, maybe also just try a reboot of the hub with "Rebuild database on reboot" checked (does backup, soft reset, and restore in one step).

1 Like

Thanks so much for all the thoughts.

I have dug around in the hub / app logs and not seeing any other errors or issues jumping out.

Thanks for the insights on polling, that makes a ton of sense. Looking more closely, there was a 10s gap between the last commands issued to Hue devices (living room lights) and these errors in this instance, and there were 8 "offs" issued now that I look at it. That must have just been the period between issuing the requests and them timing out.

I'll give the rebuild a try - is that pretty low risk?

Very.

1 Like

Also forgot to mention, whether or not Hubitat is inducing this somehow or if it's just coincidental timing, it does definitely seem there is something going on in the Hue hub itself because when I open the Hue app right after this happens it can take a long time to bring up my lights just saying "Connecting...". They do eventually come up, however, under normal circumstances it's nearly instantaneous.

Probably not related to your problem, but I've noticed the Bridge apparently losing its cloud connection until I reboot it (so things like Alexa or the app when away don't work; I haven't noticed any problem at home). Hasn't happened recently and don't know if an update might have fixed that or if it was just a fluke...

OK, the reboot / rebuild worked.

To further troubleshoot, I setup a rule to send an on command to a Hue light every 10s as a sort of heartbeat. Hoping to see if this is something that is periodically recurring throughout the day or if its more correlated to the bigger batches of commands my apps are sending.

1 Like