Error Pairing Tapo RGBW Bulb

Tapo Smart Multicolor bulb successfully onboarded using the Apple Home app. All commands work fine using Home app.

So attempted to add the device to my Hubitat C-8 running 2.3.7.141. All Matter device drivers are stock; nothing added from any other sources. Started pairing mode from Home app, entered the setup code, then got this Hubitat error:

I wiped the pairing code before taking the screenshot above. No messages in the Hubitat logs were observed.

Also, I was successful in pairing a Tapo outlet prior to this, so the hub can pair to a Matter device without errors.

Any ideas to remedy?

This error went away after upgrading to firmware 2.3.7.143.

1 Like

I had issues as well, got a Tapo bulb and I couldn't pair it untill I set it up in the Tapo app first. I also activated IPV6 on my PFsense router, as I heard rumors the it is needed/ideal for Matter.

I used the Apple Home app to onboard it - didn't install the Tapo app. All of the device features work fine using the Home app (and now after pairing with Hubitat, also with the built-in Generic Matter RGBW Light driver).

I'm running OPNSense for router/firewall, so have assigned DHCP address reservations for the Matter devices so I can monitor the traffic to/from other subnets and WAN to these endpoints. As you say looks like all of the traffic is IPV6, After onboarding, I have seen no IPV4 traffic to/from the Matter devices. I guess that's normal?

Anyway, I got these Tapo lights to learn about Matter and see what's different from Zigbee/Zwave stuff. So far so good...

I have to say, of the smart WiFi devices I have experience with , the TP-LINK/Tapo are amazingly fast and reliable. Just as fast as Z devices. Even the stupid Tapo app which probably uses the cloud? is incredibly fast, like instant

1 Like