Error on Time Zone - Mexico City

Hi everyone,

I just want to report that Time zone is not working properly for Mexico City.

Important info; Our .... government decided that we are not going to make any adjustments in Mexico any more, except some areas by the US border.

Maybe those new adjustments are not updated on HE Time zones.

I have done a couple of tests and just confirmed it is not working properly.

Right now it is 5:05 pm and HE shows 6:05 pm, where Time zone is correct. Screen capture was a few minutes ago, but it shows HE time is different than our local time shown on the bottom right of the screen.

I love time problems ... I believe what you're seeing here is a failure to move from Daylight savings to Standard.
CDT is Central Daylight Time (in other words, inside of Daylights Savings). The browser, where this is coming from, says your in CDT - which means the computer your on has the CDT still set. I believe it is wrong. It should be CT or CST today.

I wrote an app that might help. use HPM to install Date / Time Parser and propagate the values. Check whats being reported - I think you may find it valuable in shedding light.

I assume you mean Mexico is eliminating the switch from Regular time to Daylight Savings time (possibly making DST permanent). When was this changed? Hubitat might need to update the time zone libraries on the hub so it is aware of these new rules. This was happening in another country last year when they had changed some of the rules.

From what I've seen, it's actually making standard time permanent (in most locations), but in any case, it does seem that the underlying time zone data in the OS that Hubitat uses would need to be updated. That may come some day. In the mean time, I'd think that using a generic time zone like "Etc/GMT+6" for central Mexico should work (yes, +6 and not -6; the signs are inverted in this context) ... though I'd expect the data to just get updated in the future so you can use the regular/continent-based time zones.

1 Like

I installed your app, but I just don´t know how to install it. I can´t find it!!

The government decided to make standard time permanent.

For the moment this is exactly what I did,

I set this Time Zone to Mexico/BajaSur to make it work, although this is not correct.

Who should fix this? HE team?

I´ll wait for a few days to see it things get fixed.

More likely whoever maintains the Linux distribution the hub is using underneath everything (assuming that is still how it works), but ultimately that would come to us from Hubitat, yes. :slight_smile:

I'm not sure Baja Sur is a good long-term choice, as it's also probably still coded for DST, and you're likely to get incorrect time again if this is not addressed before the next change. Using something like I suggested above, "Etc/UTC+6", should give you correct year-round results.

3 Likes

I just changed settings to this:

And it seems to work.

Thanks,

Edit: After a reboot the option changes back to Mexico BajaSur

Time zones are easy. :joy:

A bit off topic but fitting.

1 Like

I can confirm that changing the time zone to Etc/GMT+6 fixed the problem.

Thanks!!!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.