EPA Energy Star certification

Smart things is certified by Energy Star.
It seems like an easy system to get Hubitat certified to.

Smart Home Energy Management Systems

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/us-epas-energy-star-program-advances-energy-management-through-smart-homes

The language seems to insinuate that the company has to provide devices as well as the monitoring service. If that's the case, then Hubitat wouldn't qualify since they don't sale any devices themselves. Just the energy "monitoring" via the hub.

Where did you see that SmartThings was certified? I imagine it's Samsung that is carrying the certification.

2 Likes

The requirements listed in the press release you’ve linked to don’t sound “easy” to me.

Key features of the SHEMS performance criteria include:

• ENERGY STAR certified smart thermostat, ENERGY STAR certified lighting and plug load control.
  • Standby limits on all required devices.
  • Ability to receive and utilize occupancy information to produce energy-saving actions (e.g. schedules, suggested actions, service initiated actions like adjusting the heat when no one is home).
  • User access to energy use information to facilitate energy-saving behavior.
  • A daily kWh budget for operating lights while away.
  • Grid communication to enable demand response functionality.
  • Integration with utility dynamic (time of use) pricing schedules.

Maybe I’m not understanding all of the above.

For example, in order to get this certification, the hub has to be capable of allowing my energy utility company to turn the a/c thermostat temperature up in the summer during a demand response event?

3 Likes

Allowing being the operative word there. The better known smart thermostats take care of that for the hub.

I attended a meeting with EPA on Thursday.
They were very clear that the hub does not need to prove that it saves energy.
Only that it can be used by the owner to make smart changes which can save energy.

Ie. The hub can connect to weather data and so is able tell the thermostat to pre heat/cool the house. Or the hub knows the house is empty and tells the thermostat to set back the temperature setpoint to a non occupied temperature.

This rating if more about the possibilities of hub, so that utilities can give discounts and rebates for their purchase and use. Which in turn is good marketing for the hub manufacturer.

1 Like

It’s listed in the partners area. There is an excel spreadsheet download that lists 2 certifications. Samsungs smart things and a power utility.
https://www.energystar.gov/sites/default/files/asset/document/ENERGY_STAR_Smart_Home_Energy_Management_Systems.xlsx

And here

What I figured. They were likely able to obtain the certification because they do have AC units (and other "smart" appliances) sold under the Samsung name.

I'm trying not to say this as cynically as it sounds in my head. But would Energy Star certification really be much of a selling point? That is usually the last thing I look for when buying a device or appliance (if I even look for it at all, and I usually don't). Are the majority of consumers really that tuned into whether a device is Energy Star Certified or not?

2 Likes

I assume it’s considered a selling point for consumers interested in using home automation to cut down on their energy bill.

And sometimes energy star certifications are a condition for various kinds government or utility company rebates.

4 Likes

That's exactly the point, Hubitat being certified would make it eligible for the rebates.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the potential. Whether Hubitat decides to use the info is up to them.

If saving money through saving energy is something you care about, they it should definitely be a consideration in your purchase. Energy star sets the minimum bar for a device that is reasonably efficient.
I wouldn't replace a 3 year old appliance with a new energy star device solely for efficiency, but if I already have to replace an end of life appliance, I'm looking hard at the energy star rating to set my savings for next 5-10 years, in conjunction with WAF and features I want.

1 Like

Agreed. I absolutely look for Energy Star certification and rating. In fact I purchased my last refrigerator (which is on 24/7/365) by deciding the size and type needed, then out of the 200 or so models that narrowed it down to, I bought the highest rated one on Energy Star- ie the one that is expected to use the least amount of energy annually. So far I'm happy with the purchase.

I was thinking rebates on bigger ticket items, like a fridge as @calinatl mentioned, or other large appliances.

If SmartThings already meets this new energy star standard, what kind of currently active rebate does it qualify for?

Maybe in time, rebate programs for energy efficiency will figure out a way to incentivize home automation hubs that have energy star certifications.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.