[EOL] SimpliSafe Alarm Integration

Thanks for this. So the reason I want this is to have lights turn on in an alarm. I see the polling interval and that's fine, but would an alarm cause an instant poll?

Currently this only works by polling the site every x minutes and checking the status. Hopefully someday I'll figure out how to add websockets support for instant reporting.

Sorry is this was previously asked. Would this integration allow me to identify "which" door/window entry sensor was triggered? I'd like to set a rule to audibly announce which specific entry is being opened to have my Google speaker with a customer message. i.e. "Front door opened"

Unfortunately it will not. The sensors are not pulled in to Hubitat, just the state of the alarm itself. You will need a separate contact sensor for that

Understood. thank you.

Can't seem to get this working. I added the driver and created a virtual device. Put my username and password in, but I get the following error message. I am definitely using the correct username and password. Could it have something to do with 2 factor authentication being enabled?

• errorData : {code=429, errorType=UserBlockError, message=User has too many failed login attempts. Try again later.}

It is possible. This was built to support the MFA login (email confirmation) and hasn't been tested with the new 2-factor. Try disabling it and see if it works

December 1st has come and gone, I seem to be getting more errors but it still seems to be working? Are there plans to still support this integration?

I think there have been updates for the Home Assistant integration as well as the Homebridge one. I noticed that the homebridge one is installed via node. I wonder how hard it would be to convert to a NR integration and circumvent HE entirely.

@cjkeenan - Earlier this week I setup Home Assistant using a Docker container then installed @jason0x43 's excellent Hubitat Custom Component in Home Assistant that communicates with Hubitat via Maker API. I have HE and HA communicating with HE sharing out some virtual switches for testing purposes but I haven't taken the next step installing the SimpliSafe integration in HA.

My SimpliSafe account is still using an old Works With Nest integration that syncs Nest home/away mode to SimpliSafe. Hubitat is kind of the glue holding the pieces together. It has worked well for several years but it is a bit of a House of Cards. I guess I'm afraid of shaking the table too much testing that HA integration and possibly have those cards come crashing down so I'm holding off waiting to see if the old API quits working before proceeding.

We seem to have been poking around the same places looking for solutions. Just in case you may have missed this, here is the new API documented by one of the guys working on the HA integration.

https://simplisafe-python.readthedocs.io/en/latest/intro.html

1 Like

When switching this to support the new auth method, this part is key:

8. You need to find an authorization code; the location of this code will be different depending on which browser you use:
  * Safari: `Develop -> Show Web Inspector -> Network Tab` (look for a reference to `ErrorPage.html`)
  * Edge: `Developer -> Developer Tools -> Console Tab` (look for a `Failed to launch` error)
  * Chrome: `Developer -> Developer Tools -> Console Tab` (look for a `Failed to launch` error)Look for a reference to a SimpliSafeā„¢ iOS URL (starting with with `com.simplisafe.mobile`) and note the `code` parameter at the very end:

com.simplisafe.mobile://auth.simplisafe.com/ios/com.simplisafe.mobile/callback?code=<CODE>

The easiest way to get a set of codes to play with is by using:

Once you have the codes, you only need to get the initial token once (the codes are only good for one use). After that you can just refresh the token. The uri for getting tokens has changed. The rest of the api seems to be intact requiring no change.

If the token expires, it will be able to successfully get a new access token (as long as you have the last refresh token, otherwise you have to start the process over and get a new set of codes). With the old auth method you could use the username and password to regain access to a valid access and refresh token. Technically you still can, but itā€™s not automated, you have to get the codes. Essentially the codes are obtained by pretending to be an iOS device running the SimpliSafe app. An error is generated giving you access to the code when it canā€™t open the app.

One last note, restoring a hub with a previous backup will restore the tokens at that point in time. If the backup doesnā€™t have the last refresh token, it will force you to obtain a new set of codes. I am not running the HA version of SimpliSafe. I wrote my own over the summer running on an rPi.

1 Like

Hello,

I am new to Hubitat. I have a Simplisafe system and want to integrate it to Hubitat. How do I install the code so I can activate the alarm from my smarthome?

I'm confused on the authorization - I've installed the driver, created the virtual device, selected said driver, entered user/pass but don't know where to get the MFA hooked in?

SS will send you an email. Or at least thatā€™s how the old method worked. It is possible that they have disabled that and are using the newer method. The old method was scheduled to stop working on or about 12/1/21.

Edit: Eventually the login method with this integration will stop working. The new method is just more cumbersome and doesnā€™t recover gracefully in some situations. Iā€™m using a different integration.

What other integration are you using? I'm not partial to any as I'm just setting this up and really just want simply arm/disarm functionality since my doors, etc already had existing sensors for other stuff.

I wrote my own last summer. The "heavy lifting" is done on an rPi. It interfaces with HE. I did the same for ecobee and Unifi Protect (no more CPU issues, perceived for otherwise).

The problem with the new method is that it all cannot be contained within an app. The hack is to pretend to be an iOS device authenticating via the web which then attempts to open the SS app with the new code, but fails. By inspecting the failure via browser tools, you find the code that you need.

1 Like

oh boy, that sounds way above my tech skill level ha. It might be easier (and maybe even more stable) to just use tasker and trigger from a pushover or something... what do you think?

Definitely easier. Stable? No, mine's stable - only messed with it to update the auth method, otherwise it just runs, no issues. It's just done it's thing for about 18 months.

I'd ask if the author of this integration plans to update to the new auth method.

One tedious concern that I have with using the new auth method running only on HE, is if you do a restore and the refresh token was not the newest one provided, you'll have to re-authorize using the hack above. The old method recovered gracefully by just requiring the username and password.

I haven't been able to come up with a graceful/reliable way to leverage the new authentication method on HE. The existing method is still working at the moment :crossed_fingers:

Around the first, it was hit or miss. The miss provided me the incentive to switch to the new method. There is no pure HE graceful method. But once switched, as long as tokens arenā€™t lost, Iā€™ve had no issues with the new method.

With respect to the recent posters, and even admiration for both skill and dogged determination, I have to wonder: At what point is it just not worth it to integrate certain third party apps with HE?

Hubitat is the primary way I control our Daikin mini splits at our home, in large part because the native Daikin app is so bad, in my opinion. But for the Mitsubishi in my wife's shop, that company's Kumo Cloud is so good, HE integration isn't really necessary. @sburke781 is working on a local integration in his free time that I'll gladly try when it's ready one day, just to avoid the cloud, but until then the Mitsubishi app is essentially flawless, and limited only by the inaccuracy of the device's own internal thermometer (another story).

That same shop also has Simplisafe as the alarm, as it's a tiny little place. I suppose it would be nice to have SS integrated with HE, so that arming the system changed the thermostat setting and turned off the background music, but those things take about 20 seconds as part of her end of day routine, and if she forgets, she just pulls out her phone from wherever, and it's done. Not a big lift.

Anyway, my point is that sometimes the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. I think integrating SS with HE may be one of those situations, at least for me.