Eero Zigbee separate from HE Zigbee?

I have an eero zigbee network and would like it to be on the same zigbee network as my HE. Is there a distance restriction for the radio or wire to insure they are part of the same network?

• The first eero is plugged into the router and Ethernet switch
  • There are 8 devices and a second switch plugged into that first switch that’s located in a metal box in the basement
  • The second switch (30f away on the first floor) thas the second eero and the HE.

Is there a signal degradation through these switches? I’ve tried to add a zigbee outlet near the first eero and it links to the eero network but not the HE. When I bring it near the HE it links to the HE network. I want one zigbee network to insure better communication so I would run more wire if needed.

Unless these can be joined as routers and not controllers I can't see how you would be able to do this. Unfortunately ZigBee can only have one controller, so these would need to work as basic device and then join to Hubitat to just help route the messages for HE.

4 Likes

If you want a single zigbee network, I suggest turning off the eero’s zigbee radio.

2 Likes

Is there a way to turn off the zigbee controller in my HE and allow the EERO to control zigbee? I spoke with eero helpdesk, and they said I couldn't turn off the eero zigbee controller and put it in bridge mode,

Sure. Just go to:

Settings -> Zigbee Settings

And turn off the zigbee radio. Be aware that doing so will mean that you cannot control any zigbee device via Hubitat.

Also, as I understand it, if you don't associate an Amazon account with your eero, it turns the zigbee radio off.

1 Like

Thanks,
I'm just getting started on the zigbee network and was hopping that everyone would play nice with each other.... :frowning: Since I have 10 wifi outlets (and several routines) on eero it looks like eero wins out for now. Maybe it's worth converting them all to zigbee. Hopefully once Thread comes along both the eero and HE will be able to turn on/off their controllers and go into bridge mode and let only one hub control things.

Just remember that when you add devices to Hubitat (and presumably that's your plan since you purchased it) you'll end up w/a somewhat "broken" experience (can't create automations/controls that integrate devices from both hubs) until you move all devices onto the same controller/hub, or until the potential magic of Matter enables more options.

2 Likes

I would like to move all of my devices over, so if I add the WIFI dongle to the HE will I be able to add all of my legacy wifi outlets? Or am I better off dumping those and make the jump and buy zigbee outlets?

Not really. In general (there are exceptions) the devices need to be on the same subnet but that's it. The real issue is finding an app and/or drivers that will control those wifi plugs. There may or may not be something available. What kind are they?

The wifi-dongle-on Hubitat option is to enable Hubitat itself to connect over wifi (for cases when connecting Hubitat via ethernet (which is much mor epreferable) is not possible).

It does not allow you to (directly) connect wifi devices to Hubitat.

2 Likes

Tuya and Espressif (? - cheap on amazon)

I would definitely consider doing this.

In the long run, you’re likely to have a better experience as your knowledge and interest in home automation grows once you’ve gotten started with Hubitat (the rabbit hole is pretty deep!).

2 Likes

The way Hubitat works with Wifi devices is that you pair the Wifi device with your router, then Hubitat controls the Wifi device through the wired network to your router. The Hubitat Wifi dongle only allows the hub to connect to the router, not direct to Wifi devices.

Only certain Wifi devices can be controlled this way, Kasa, Lifx, and a few others have either official integration, or a community based integration. You would have to do some homework as to whether your particular device works with one of the integrations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.