Edison Bulb

Hi everyone new to HE, migrant from Wink 2 with Stringify, HE arrived on Tuesday. I've searched the community and not readily finding an answer to my question.

I have an Edison Bulb in a decorative glass pendant lamp over my dinning room table that is a Lumiman LM510 Smart WiFi bulb, currently using Alexa to control by voice via integration of Smart Life app solely for this bulb.

My question is I would like to use motion to turn on/off this bulb as well as use within a scene, how can I make this happen? Additionally, suggestions on a different brand preferably Zigbee or Z-Wave +.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Dannie

I'm not familiar with that bulb, but most Wi-Fi bulbs don't work well, if at all, outside their manufacturer's "walled garden." (Exceptions: Hubitat has a native integration for Yeelight, and I think there is an unofficial community integration for Tuya Smart Life-compatible devices. The Hue Bridge integration works over the LAN in a similar fashion, albeit wired.) Sometimes you can integrate via IFTTT, but that is cloud-based and will likely introduce at least a small delay (and be dependent on the reliability of all the clouds you're going through). If it works with Alexa or similar, you can also use an Alexa Routine to manipulate/sync a virtual device in Hubitat that will give you similar functionality, again-cloud dependent.

I'm not familiar with any Zigbee or Z-Wave filament/Edison-style bulbs, and a quick search didn't turn up much besides Wi-Fi bulbs like you already have, plus the Sylvania/Osram/Lightify Smart+ filament bulbs, which are unfortunately Bluetooth and not Zigbee like most of their smart bulbs (but they are HomeKit-compatible if you wanted to try to integrate them with Hubitat with awkward but probably local workarounds).

Are you particularly attached to smart bulbs? Because in this case, I'd recommend a smart switch/dimmer (there are many Z-Wave Plus options and there used to be and maybe still are a couple Zigbee options, too). Then you can use whatever "dumb" bulbs you want, including filament designs, with little worry. Hubitat works very well with Z-Wave and Zigbee devices, and switches/dimmers are much easier to find than smart bulbs in "speciality" formats.

2 Likes

Thank you for the assistance. I have a GE Z-Wave Plus toggle switch that I have been unable to pair to HE at this point. Any suggestions on a different one, I live in an apartment so I don't wont to replace all of my switches but a couple won't readily be noticed, I have informed my landlord for the sake of safety and full disclosure.

Dannie

Did you previously use the Z-Wave switch with a different hub/controller? If so, you'll need to exclude it from that controller (or do a general exclusion) before Hubitat will be able to find it. You can do this with the "Start Z-Wave Exclusion" button on the device discovery page. Do that and put the GE switch into exclusion mode (check the manual for how), then you should eventually see Hubitat report "unknown Z-Wave device excluded." If there is an additional procedure for a reset of the switch, you might want to try that as well--which theoretically should be enough on its own without doing the exclusion, but I know at least some older GE switches still "remembered" their network information with a so-called "reset" so that wasn't enough (yours may not).

Thank you and yes I have completed each of the steps you mentioned multiple times to no avail. I am patient and will keep trying, from the community this seems to be a common problem with this model. Again a suggestion would be nice, I have seen many suggestions for the Caseta but I don't want to go that route since at most I need 3 in an apartment. Thanks again for your assistance.

Dannie

If you've had the switch for a long time, it's possible it's just failed on you, but most of the problems I've read about people having with these--GE switches in particular--is failure to properly exclude from a previous hub. (You may want to make sure that the manual specifies the correct exclusion and inclusion procedures for your model. Some Googling may be helpful. They are sometimes wrong.)

Caseta is good but I'd agree that it's probably overkill, at least in terms of initial price, if you only have a few switches. If you did want to replace the switches, GE/Jasco/Honeywell are, I think, largely all the same switches rebranded, and besides the pairing/exclusion issues and lack of instant status reporting with the older switches, I think they're pretty well reviewed, so I wouldn't necessarily hesitate on those (but I'd really hope you can get your existing one working). Other popular options include Inovelli (probably all out of stock now, but new dimmer coming soon), Zooz, and HomeSeer.

1 Like

Excellent thanks and I too hope to get it working and also looking to add 1 or 2 more. Thanks, I'm really just getting started,

Dannie