Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor - Incorrect Status

Hello - I was having trouble with my GoControl garage door giving me false open/close, so I added the Ecolink Tilt Sensor and moved my notifications/status to that. (This was about 9 months ago).

Today, the Ecolink is stuck on "Open" and I cannot get it to correct by opening/closing the garage door. I am using the Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor driver and there is no "refresh" command. Battery is showing as 100%. HE hub is C-5, FW 2.2.8.147.

Any thoughts on how I can get this synced up again?

UPDATE: I went and physically knocked on the sensor and that appears to have corrected the status. Not sure if this is a permanent fix, but is there another suggested fix (or replacement)?

The sensor is a ball in a tube. It can get stuck. Some have replaced the tube with a glass containing mercury... that will never wear out. :slight_smile:

The problem though is they come in a pack of 20, so you need to find 19 friends that also need an upgrade :smiley:

3 Likes

Well - for that price, I can just get the pack and then either hang on to them or give them to whoever has a similar problem! Any idea how complicated (aka fiddly) the process is?

PM me your address, and I'll put a couple in the mail for you.

Not difficult. I don't have photos, but if I can do it, anyone can ..... (you do need a high temp soldering gun to remove the ball switch cleanly).

Unsolder the two wires, insert new, solder -- done.

You can just pop the lid off as if you were changing the battery and visually confirm you have the metal tube variety:

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 10.06.37 AM

If so, it's simple if you can solder. :smiley: Not the ideal way to learn soldering though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just had a thought. If you don't want to learn to solder, perhaps you can use the external contacts. Don't see why that wouldn't work.

Thanks - sent

I haven't touched a soldering iron in YEARS - and those are MANY years :rofl: Luckily, I have a brother who is a tinkerer and I can ask him to do this for me!

I'm pretty sure that is what I have - I think I remember that from when I installed it.

1 Like

are you sure it is not a signal issue. the garage is usually a ways from the hub.. i had one that suddenly developed a signal issue.. i replaced it with the newer zwave plus model

I don't think it's a signal issue - the hub is in the family room next to the garage. Also, when I went and tapped on the sensor, it registered as "closed", so in all likelihood, it's the "ball" getting stuck in the sensor. Also, this is the zwave plus version.

1 Like

I replaced my (still working) tilt contact with a mercury switch (from ebay).

I'll warn you, unsoldering the switch is a little difficult as it is connected to a ground plane (lots of copper) with no thermal reliefs.

One might consider cutting the mechanical sensor leads right at the body and solder the mercury switch to those leads. If you think afterwards the mercury switch is not supported well enough then a little hot melt.

1 Like

Not a bad idea.

1 Like

Ouch - thanks for the heads up.