Ecolink FireFighter Device

Did the built in Ecolink Z-wave Smoke/CO Audio Device driver not work?

I did not know that one existed. I can give it a try for sure. I will let you know. Thanks

I have one, and use the built in driver. Great device.

1 Like

Yup, me too. Built-in driver works fine, and was automatically assigned to the device when I paired it. The smoke detector I installed mine next to went off recently (just something on the stove), I received an HSM alert as intended.

That was the ticket! Thanks bjcowles! Thanks guys.

Another option is the Kidde SM120X relay and a zwave contact switch. The relay module is hard wired in and when it senses voltage on the alarm wire that goes to all normal smoke detectors in a newer home it will close a small relay. Tie the dry contacts or the relay to the external sensor of a door switch and you can be notified if your smoke detector trips. There are pluses and minus of this approach verse putting an audio detector next to a smoke detector. Both will work in the end.

Hi, anyone know if there is an european version of this?( 868.42 MHz)

I just installed one and it works great. However, in the device events, one of the fields is "name" which shows either carbon monoxide or smoke, but %name% does not show the alarm type in HSM notification. Any thoughts?

I don't believe %name% is a valid value, not sure if there is a way to get it announced with the specific alert type as %device% is the name of the device and %value% would be "clear" or "detected"

Tagging @bravenel as I'd also like to know if there is a way to do this either in HSM or RM 3?

Thinking about this more, I'm pretty sure you could use RM 3 to create a GV string and then set it from a detected alert type (CO or Smoke) then use that variable in your message in HSM, but the problem would be that the alert would probably be announced prior to the GV being sent so it wouldn't work correctly.

The best option might be to use an RM 3 trigger (CO or Smoke detected) and then announce it there.

Just wanted to thank you all for recommending the Ecolink Z wave audio detector for smoke and Co2. I had been using LEEO but that just went belly up last month so needed something to connect to Hubitat to inform me, God forbid, if my smoke alarm went off. Luckily I read about that tiny inclusion button inside the device otherwise I would have been lost. All went well, Hubitat had a driver, found it right away and used HSM custom rule to send a Pushover txt to me if a smoke alarm ever went off. So to all, thanks! ! Hubitat has a great community.

3 Likes

Has anyone had any luck getting HSM to alert rather Smoke or CO was detected?

I just got the zigbee version of this ecolink firefighter device. It has a temperature reading but there's nowhere to enter an offset? I'm using the built in ecolink smoke/co driver.

Edit: It looks like the built in driver is for zwave version... just sent an email to support hoping they can whip up a driver for the zigbee one.

1 Like

I just got one of these, anyone know how to test it?

Zigbee or zwave? Either way you can trigger a fire or smoke alarm and check if the alert is reported on the device page for the fire fighter.

2 Likes

Push the smoke alarm tester button. Your eardrums will split apart, but it should trigger the FireFighter listener.

4 Likes

Just got one of these zigbee devices... the built in driver doesn't seem to work? It gets detected as a contact sensor for some reason when I pair it?

Any recommendations?

For some reason, most of us have found the Zigbee version of the device doesn’t work. At all. Myself included. One person apparently got it to work though?

3 Likes

The built-in driver is for the z-wave version, so it will not work for the zigbee version. While, as @marktheknife notes, the zigbee version hasn't worked for many users, it has for others.

You may wish to to try the SmartThings driver ported by @rfg81 that is available in the post linked below. That said, if it were me, I would exchange the zigbee version for the z-wave version, which works really well with the built-in driver.

2 Likes

PSA for folks that have this device. CO alarm detection is not on by default. I did not know this and did a little research. CO alarm detection is turned off by default because it apparently will shorten battery life somewhat. How much, I do not know or care. I want CO alarm detection. I think that this is very important. Here are the instructions to enable it and how to check and verify that it is enabled.

CO alarm audio detection set up. • • • • • Press and hold both the programming button and the tamper switch for 10 seconds. Remove and replace the battery. On battery replacement, watch the LED light. Look for a RED, RED, GREEN blink. If you see this, the device will listen for CO Test devices to be certain. NOTE detector alarm condition. When detecting both CO and smoke alarms, you may shorten battery life. Battery levels are supervised by most hubs.

1 Like