Ecolink contact sensors that wont reset

Any idea what i can do with these things? i have about 5 or 6 of them. they were on wink. they are several years old. work fine on wink. but for the life of me i can't get them to reset and be seen by hubitat. Tehy wont exclude they wont include. is there any hope? or should i ditch them?

Which model number?

nothing on the outside. but when i open it up and take off the board i see a sticker. SZ4F-6351E and then ZW_DOOR1_PIC

So that's the original z-wave version, not the newer zwave+ version of that contact sensor.

Try this procedure on one of them, and if it works (:crossed_fingers:), try it on the others:

1. Remove the battery
  2. Bring the sensor to be really close to the Hubitat (less than 2 feet away)
  3. Put the Hubitat into exclusion mode
  4. Then insert a brand-new battery

Hopefully, you'll get a message that an unknown device was excluded.

Include them also very close to the Hubitat. Then place them in their final position (and run a z-wave repair).

P.S. Do you have an aeotec minimote or any other portable z-wave controller? You can use that for the exclusion as well (athough for including the old ones, they have to be close to the HE).

yeah been trying that. i think they just might be needing to be retired.

That's a shame. OTOH, they are z-wave and there's much better zigbee/z-wave options available now. I had a bunch of GoControl contact sensors. I replaced them with zigbee contact sensors. But I've repurposed the GoControls for any use that requires a dry contact sensor, Using a cheap tilt-switch, I converted one them into a tilt sensor for my garage door:

Your ecolinks have external terminals as well - so it would be nice if you can reset them.

@jrobertson50

Just to confirm - you have secure z-wave enabled just for locks and garage door openers, correct?

that is correct. ill keep playing with it. maybe ill get lucky and it will go. im only about 6' from the hub right now. ill try and go closer

Well tried again. pulled the batteries. about an hour later went in. put the sensor on top of the hub and put the battery back in. tried on 4 of them. none of them would exclude

That's a shame.

Yeah I really would love to use them. Bought some iris ones another post recommend. Guess I'll swap them and keep the batteries

The real shame is that the Ecolink and GoControl contact sensors are the only ones I know off that have external contacts - so they can be easily adapted for all manner of purposes.

For example, those contacts could be connected to a pressure mat to determine when someone is in bed or sitting on a couch. Or to a current sensor switch to determine when a circuit is on or off. Or a hundred other uses ......

1 Like

Yeah I wish there was Way too hard reset it

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.