EcoBee will no longer authorize

Just spend the last hour on the phone with EcoBee.
This is the short result.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting ecobee Support.

For your convenience, I've provided a summary of our interaction today. If you require any further information or assistance, please don't hesitate to reply to this email.

Ticket Number: XXXXXXX [Masked for Privacy]

Reason For Call: 3rd party app authorization

Details of Inquiry:

For Hubitat: They currently do not support our new API integration linking yet, which is thus causing the issue with authorization"

This is regarding the current Built-In App for EcoBee in HE Build 2.2.1.116

Unless their API changed within the last month, this is incorrect. Let me ask you this - did you enable 2-factor authentication for ecobee?

The API did change according to EcoBee Support.
Also, I do not have MFA enabled.

I can see where they state that (in their response to you). My response was based on several others reporting issues with ecobee and 2FA within the last month. And removing 2FA solved their issue.

Here is one such thread:

Although, since you don't use 2FA, that can't be the problem you've run into.

Are you using the built-in ecobee integration or the one written by @storageanarchy?

Also tagging @mike.maxwell to let him know that ecobee has changed their API.

1 Like

"the current Built-In App for EcoBee in HE Build 2.2.1.116"

I've tagged Mike so he sees your pose.

Barry's integration, which works with both SmartThings and Hubitat is here:

I was trying to stay with Built-In Apps as opposed to User Add-In's because as I understand it Built-In Apps would run cleaner in the OS. While I realize that if I want my Rules to run in Rule Machine I need to get an app back in there (since removing the Built-In App removed all my devices) in order for my Rules to have Devices to Run on. Are we recommending that this be the way to go moving forward? Or is this a stop-gap?

WOW! This is an impressive amount of code! KUDOS to sandood!

Interestingly, same issue with the User App.
I can sign in to the EcoBee Web Site and the EcoBee App all day long, sufficed to say I know my user name and password, however, I cannot get the API to authenticate me.

WHOA! That's interesting! I changed my password in frustration and walked away. 15 minutes later I come back to try again and it FINALLY let me authenticate in the API for the User App. Maybe it needed to propagate in the EcoBee System????

Now I am intrigued! I reinstalled the Built-In App and I was able to Authenticate through the API. What's going on here?? I think there was a funny business going on on EcoBee's Side? Maybe they tweaked something from my EcoBee Ticket?

1 Like

I think the reason ecobee support gave you was incorrect. This was an authentication issue at their end.

What matters more is that you now have your choice of two great integrations for Hubitat!

3 Likes

NUTTY! This is what I do all day long for John Deere Business System Support, just from the other side. I'm usually the Problem Solver, not the Problem Haver! I am intrigued by sandood's app. Definitely giving it a gander! Thanks for the feedback! Good to know the Community is here!!

1 Like

You should definitely try it!

Wow.. I think I need the T-Shirt. :smiley:

That's my life too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

overflow
I just ordered 2x Honeywell t6 z-wave
ecobee was building up this for 3 years
ecobee is not a bad thermostat,
just constant problems with their API,
wifi not reconnecting if Blackdown,
5min random pull
smart features that never materialized,
2FA that broke more than secured.

@storageanarchy keept it running as far as he could

another device that will be 100% local for me

4 Likes

That’s what i have. Used to have an ecobee3.

I had Radio Thermostats (https://www.radiothermostat.com/) I was seduced by the remote sensors..... [ashamed slink]. You could do 2 protocols with them, depending on what modules you had installed. You can up to 2 out of 3; WiFi, ZWave and/or ZigBee.
Should have stayed there! Although, I am unsure if HE and interface with them.

HE does interface with the zwave ones for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.