Ecobee presence detection

Hello All,

I would like to leverage the presence detection of my Ecobee "Smart Thermostat with Voice Control" (a.k.a. Ecobee 5) for an automation. I want to utilize the presence detection in the thermostat itself (not the accompanying remote Ecobee sensor).

I fully appreciate from other posts that there can be significant delays (up to 30 minutes) in the Ecobee presence detection and that the Ecobee servers can be unreliable. I accept these constraints for my intended purpose and politely request this thread stick to how to perform this task rather than turn into a discussion of alternatives to the Ecobee presence detection.

I see great community Ecobee contributions (e.g. Universal Ecobee Suite, My Ecobee Devices), but being a novice as I am, these community solutions seem to put a very large amount of software (applications and drivers) on my Hubitat given my limited use case.

So, is there a straightforward way to read an Ecobee 5's thermostat's presence detection state with the built in Hubitat Ecobee Integration app (preferred), or with loading just a small subset of either the Universal Ecobee Suite or My Ecobee Devices?

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful inputs.

My Ecobee thermostat can be used as a motion sensor in RM, so make a rule in RM to do something on motion. I do use the the Ecobee suite from @storageanarchy. You can install it from Hubitat package manager which makes it fairly easy, but if you don't want to, then the stock driver should work.

I have never used the stock driver but I would assume it would allow you to use the motion sensor in the thermostat as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your response.

Attached is a picture of the commands and states available from the Hubitat supplied Ecobee integration app, and as you see, it does not provide access to the presence detection. The Hubitat supplied Ecobee integration app does supply access to the presence detection of Ecobee remote sensors, but not the presence detection built into the thermostat itself.

It may be a longshot but you might try a "Custom Command" in RM. There is a slim chance the presence is available from the HE driver.

1 Like

If the driver you are using does not support it then you need to load one that does.

2 Likes

If you want to use the sensors as occupancy like I do I use the @storageanarchy driver:

[RELEASE] Universal Ecobee Suite, Version 1.8.01 - Developers / Code Share - Hubitat

This should work for your use case. All my sensors and the thermostat look like occupancy sensors.

1 Like

Correct, use one of the user created Ecobee integrations that does.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.