Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂

I have a Synology device running Docker, but am not well versed at getting things to work inside of it. Has anyone gotten this running inside of Docker on a Synology device, or does it not even matter? Will the instructions from other platforms work on this as well?

Thanks...

If you know how to use docker from the command line on your Synology then the general instructions for creating the docker container will work.

1 Like

I've posted this before and I'd like to mention it again since everyone seems to be in a panic:

This is from the app creator:

tonesto7 Sep 4

"I swear you guys are very impatient!
Just relax and use the current server... we have almost 3 months!
I will have the new version ready before then"

Please do not bother the app developer with questions, ETAs, etc. about a new version. It will get posted when he's done developing and testing.

For those that mentioned that there hasn't been any updates or further development of the current iteration of this app, it's likely because the developer feels there is no need for any.

Patience is a virtue!!

2 Likes

I am also trying to set this up on a Synology NAS in docker. I tried using Portainer to pull a stack from github using an access token, but it keeps saying I don't have permission.

Has anybody managed to get this running in docker on the Synology NAS? If so please can you direct this noob

Question: If I do a hubitat backup , switch to a local echo speaks, can I go back via a hub restore?

Yes, you can and I actually did that twice while trying to develop the procedure I documented out here.

Thanks, I thought so. I have the server running on my linux host, no docker, just followed the steps and it is running.

I did a backup, now to connect to it.

Yes, I've got the docker image from GitHub up and running. Used PuTTY to SSH into the NAS from my local network. Then pulled the bits (git clone...) after setting up a private/public key pair on the Synology. Then, did a "docker-compose" to build the image. After that, the image showed up in the Synology Docker app and I was able to configure and run the container using that. Not too painful.

See my post above. I tried the Portainer route, but it failed for the same reason. I suspect it's because there was no private key installed, but rather than try to figure that out I went to the CLI and did it that way.

I came across this. Apparently heroku is exponentially tied to elon clamping down on twitter. And of course, as logic always dictates, innocent people have to pay the righteous taxes of evil doers. Makes sense right?

I had to do this on my Pi as well to get Docker running. Newbies to Github take note. There are instructions online. I just didn't know. Eventually installed the server without Docker.

See this:

https://community.hubitat.com/t/re-echo-speaks-heroku-end-anxiety-support-group-17-days-to-go/104887?u=memiautomation

This link is broken or private.

Is there any instructions to install this as a docker on an unraid server?

This was my hold up on getting my own docker up and running. It looks like you could follow the docker-compse steps provided by @vmsman and have your instance up and running. You just need to install docker-compose. I can only guess that it will appear within unRAID's docker page? But I personally have not tested this. I have a second system running ESXi and put Photon in there to run a few key dockers. One being Tautulli so I could monitor my Plex server outside of unRAID, where it runs. The steps were super easy to follow. Download the files, navigate into the docker directory, run docker-compose build (from the steps), and about 2-3 minutes later everything was running.

But following in case there is a way to get this into unRAID. However only if the docker image was maintained would I really want it there. If it will be a static image, and not have OS patches/updates, then I don't mind leaving it on my Photon Docker

So I got the server setup on a Raspberry Pi. Seems to work fine if I go straight to the server. BUT from the Echo Speaks app when I try to do the Amazon login I keep getting an error. UnknownOperationException. Any idea what else it can be?

The local service seems to be correct:

Okay. I reinstalled and now I was able to login. BUT Echo Speaks says I'm not logged in... hmmm

Local server:

BUT Echo Speaks:

I wish I understood this interface better. Any clues for the clueless?

Man oh man. I keep doing it, but keep getting the same results. The Amazon login works, but Echo Speaks still thinks "I'm no longer logged in"

Any other ideas from anyone?

Can anyone clarify whether there will be an official release of Echo Speaks that tackles the Heroku problem. I hate to go the rpi route only to have an alternate supported version be introduced at the last minute.

Look at posts above.

1 Like