Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. 🙂

This link is broken or private.

Is there any instructions to install this as a docker on an unraid server?

This was my hold up on getting my own docker up and running. It looks like you could follow the docker-compse steps provided by @vmsman and have your instance up and running. You just need to install docker-compose. I can only guess that it will appear within unRAID's docker page? But I personally have not tested this. I have a second system running ESXi and put Photon in there to run a few key dockers. One being Tautulli so I could monitor my Plex server outside of unRAID, where it runs. The steps were super easy to follow. Download the files, navigate into the docker directory, run docker-compose build (from the steps), and about 2-3 minutes later everything was running.

But following in case there is a way to get this into unRAID. However only if the docker image was maintained would I really want it there. If it will be a static image, and not have OS patches/updates, then I don't mind leaving it on my Photon Docker

So I got the server setup on a Raspberry Pi. Seems to work fine if I go straight to the server. BUT from the Echo Speaks app when I try to do the Amazon login I keep getting an error. UnknownOperationException. Any idea what else it can be?

The local service seems to be correct:

Okay. I reinstalled and now I was able to login. BUT Echo Speaks says I'm not logged in... hmmm

Local server:

BUT Echo Speaks:

I wish I understood this interface better. Any clues for the clueless?

Man oh man. I keep doing it, but keep getting the same results. The Amazon login works, but Echo Speaks still thinks "I'm no longer logged in"

Any other ideas from anyone?

Can anyone clarify whether there will be an official release of Echo Speaks that tackles the Heroku problem. I hate to go the rpi route only to have an alternate supported version be introduced at the last minute.

Look at posts above.

1 Like

5 days ago Tony mentioned he may not meet the 28th date:

2 Likes

My experience is that setting up a local server is EASY. Getting the Echo Speaks app to use it has been impossible. GRRRRRRRR

In case the prior responses aren’t clear, the answer is essentially, “yes, probably, at some point. Maybe soon, maybe not so soon.”

The developer, like most of us, (including those of us that aren’t software developers) has professional and personal responsibilities that understandably come first.

He doesn’t owe us an explanation, detailed timeline/roadmap or any commitment of any sort, really.

Whether you choose to pay temporarily for Heroku’s app hosting, roll your own server at home (which isn’t very difficult even for those of us that don’t really have a clue how any of this stuff works, thanks to the efforts of other knowledgeable community members), or go without the functionality of Echo Speaks for a period of time that is impossible to know with certainty, is up to you.

3 Likes

I’m happy to wait for the official release, although trying to get a local server running looks like fun, but at this time of year I don’t really have the time.

The latest Heroku email talks about their Eco Dynos plan, 1000 hours a month shared across all your dynos for $5 a month. My stats say 12 hours used so far this month, so that should easily cover my usage for the time being :grinning:

1 Like

Running my Echo Speaks Cookie Authorization server on a Raspberry Pi Zero W. (Purchased a few years ago for $10 - not worth today's scalper prices. :slightly_frowning_face:) Take that, Heroku!

Thanks to @vmsman and @tonesto7!

5 Likes

Cool Beans @Hal3

1 Like

Somewhat "slightly" off topic question. I know with Heroku you could run your Echo devices in a completely different VLAN than your HE hub. (I never got around, yet, to moving my echo's into my IoT VLAN.) Is that still the case with the local echo speaks server?

For example:
HE hub & ESS in VLAN10
Echo devices in VLAN20

Does everything still operate the same at that point? Or does the ESS need to be in VLAN20 as well?

Just wanted to say thanks!
Didn't know you could run Linux on a windows 10 pro 64 bit machine. Learn something new everyday.
Been running fine for about a week in Windows 10 with a minimized cmd window.
Haven't tested the batch file I made and put in the windows startup folder yet. Been many years since I made a batch file.
Initially I tried using virtual box and had it running but could not connect. But then I learned I didn't need it.
It was pretty easy to setup in Windows just using the above posts.

I installed Debian from the youtube video @ralph.vasquez posted Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. :slightly_smiling_face: - #82 by ralph.vasquez
The video installs Ubuntu but I installed Debian.

Then I install Echo Speaks as per @vmsman instructions Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. :slightly_smiling_face: - #58 by vmsman

I also had to use @Scottdogster tip Echo Speaks / Heroku end anxiety support group. See one solution below. :slightly_smiling_face: - #61 by Scottdogster

Then finished off setting up through the Hubitat Echo Speaks app

thanks again.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, @NoWon!

Your post is a real breath of fresh air! By the price of a Raspberry Pi 4 I bought a Mini PC that runs Windows 11 Pro from Ali Express, but I didn't know how to make Echo Speaks work on that OS.

I will implement the solution over the weekend, but thanks in advance for your input!

Local server up & running!
No docker, no WSL2. Works like a champ.

Installed Raspberry Pi Desktop on Hyper-V Win10 Pro (basically a Virtual Machine); make sure you assign a static or reserved IP in your router for the VM after installation.

When installing, give it 2GB RAM; I tried lower initially but it always failed.
After installation you can drop it; I dropped mine to 512MB. Works just fine.

My Win10 Host & VM + Hubitat all run on different sub-net/vlans; 192.168.10.x and 192.168.60.x.
Could log in successfully into the local "cookie server" on the VM.
Took many, many tries to get the damn cookie to set/stick.
Eventually reverted to Firefox Private browsing / Incognito mode for it to stick; definitely seems to be a caching issue of some kind.

So far so good! Hope this gives some guidance / alternative to other folks.

PS. I used OPTION 2 / ALTERNATIVE of the fine guide @vmsman released at Echo Speaks Local Cookie Authorization Server - ScottiByte's Discussion Forum.

J

1 Like

I got this running on a VirtualBox Ubuntu VM last night using @vmsman post info. Still hoping for an official app, or something that can run native on HE as I have 2 spare C5 sitting here doing pretty much nothing. May have to score a Pi from my son if he has any still laying about.

@rjterry21 It's not likely that this could ever be an app on Hubitat. Really what folks are seeing is that apps like Cast All The Things CATT Server (used by CATT Director), Echo Speaks cookie authorization server, Monocle Camera RTSP/RTP server, and a huge list of others are ancillary apps to Hubitat Elevation that serve to augment home automation. The longer you do home automation, the more of these apps that you find. That's why my YouTube channel is devoted to learning how to deploy infrastructure to support LXD and Docker containers which are the ideal lightweight structures to support these functions. Many folks out here want to use a Raspberry Pi to do these things and that's fine for a one-off solution. You will discover more and more of these functions over time and having a very small compact server like the Minisforum UM350 with 16GB of memory can host 15 LXD container instances with no problem for barely more than a Pi which comes with no storage and only 8GB of memory max. Check out my channel at https://youtube.com/@scottibyte and especially this video on that little server. Cheap Self Hosting Server - YouTube

1 Like