Echo speak installation error

Hello everybody. I rarely post here because everything is working flawlessly. BUT i really would like to get Echo Speak working. I carefully follow the instructions, but when I try to connect to Amazon I get a 404 page not found. This is what I installed. Thank you!

• Echo Speaks v4.2.3.0 (app)
    • Echo Speaks - Actions v4.2.3.0 (app)
    • Echo Speaks - Zones v4.2.3.0 (app)
    • Echo Speaks Device v4.2.3.0 (driver)
    • Echo Speaks Zone Device v4.2.3.0 (driver)

My guess is that it isn’t available in your country. @nh.schottfam or @tonesto7 should be able to clarify. The error says that it communicated with the server, but the server couldn’t find what was requested.

Thank you Ken. Very possible. I was able to play a dog barking on Alexa using MyPodApp but you have to pay $2/month to be able to avoid Alexa say the title of the sound track i.e. Now playing dog barking.... Echo Speak looks much more versatile. Any other suggestions?

I see that you have Heroku selected, but as far as I know, it no longer works without a paid subscription (since late last year), so a rpi or spare computer would be needed to run the cookie server for ES. If you have any Homepod minis, or other AirPlay 2 receivers, I know that an AirPlay app is in development for Hubitat. That won’t require any additional hardware or added complexity.

Thank you Ken. If I find a solution I'll post here to help others.

1 Like

I just posted the same problem last night in the Echo Speaks thread. In my case, I had selected the .ca Amazon domain. I don't know if this is related or not.

ok thank you. I don't think it matters. I am in Aruba. I also tried amazon.nl for UK terittory. No luck.
I reported a bug at Github. It has been assigned to @tonesto7 . Hopefully he can help us.

1 Like

Has a solution been found? I get the same 404 page not found. Trying to log in from Arizona to Amazon.com. Everything else is working well. I just cannot get beyond that point.

Not that I am aware of. I use My Pod. $2 a month and works flawlessly.
But be careful. If you choose to try to install echo speak, stay away from Heroku. Long story short it has been months of frustrations trying to have them stop billing me and close my account. I have over 40 years of experience in software industry. I never seen a company (Heroku Sales Force) operating that way. I never talk negatively about anyone. But I don’t want other Hubitat users to get trapped in their “free” offer.

See this post for a workaround using Heroku, but there will be a monthly fee still.

Hosting a local server would be free.

2 Likes

After trying the Heroku path I gave up after the 404 failure. But I saw what it does, which is basically keep the cookie valid. Likely not intensive processing, and likely runs infrequently. So digging into the self host option, decided to see if I could get it running on my Fire 10 tablet, which is dedicated as a Hubitat dashboard. Lots of steps but in the end I got it working.

I’m now stuck on the 404 error again but with an exception. When I access it locally via localhost:8091 it works! When I try from any remote client it fails with the 404. I’m hoping with local control and better logging I can figure it out. It fails at /proxy path which isn’t very informative. My guess is simply an improper oauth redirect.

Any help is appreciated, I’ll post if I solve it.

I get this when I try to log onto Amazon from the Echo Speaks app running on Hubitat. It's the wrong place to log on. Need to go to the Echo Speaks server you created through one of the various means described elsewhere.

I used npm and node running on an RP to avoid paying monthly fees or use the complicated docker approaches. But, they should all work.

So, I simply point a browser to raspberrypi.local:8091 and the same window you saw that lead to the 404 error will appear. Whatever your approach to creating the echo speaks server, you are now on the echo speaks server (not hubitat's echo speaks app) and that's the place where you log in to Amazon.

By the way, I ran into the problem of the Amazon login refreshing before I could enter a security code sent by Amazon. Drove me nuts. Simple solution for me was to turn on two factor notification in Amazon's settings page.