Echo Hacked? [SOLVED]

Anybody ever seen this before and can tell me WTAF is going on? The device showed up in my Alexa as I was having trouble trying to get a new Echo registered yesterday, but has since been resolved. I just noticed it in my logs while looking for something else.

You might want to post about any oddities related to Echo Speaks, in the dedicated thread, as people following that topic may be more familiar with how something like this could happen.

3 Likes

The Echo Speaks app defaults to auto detect new devices. It probably picked it up, but the device wasn’t communicating. That’s the log that I get if I unplug one of my Echos.

2 Likes

Well I was more wondering about the Wang Chung lyrics bit, but I think I figured this out. You mention Echo Speaks and when I look at the source code for it, the various speech tests it has built in have some lyrics for various songs, this being one of them. Evidently when I was trying to figure out what the device was and ran the audio test it attempted to speak the lyrics but failed because it didn't register properly. All good now, thanks.

4 Likes

LOL ok I have to admit this is a good one.

2 Likes

Right? My first though is someone got control of my hub and was trying to make Alexa start spouting random stuff.

2 Likes

The test used to be a rap. It was much longer.

1 Like

It’s usually not that. As you discovered :slight_smile:.

2 Likes