Eaton Zwave Outlet - Configure power on state

I just bought the Eaton Zwave 15A outlet in Lowes, model RFTR9605-TAW-BX-LW

The device is configured by default that after a power cycle (outage) it is OFF. I need to change that to being ON by default. The manual states to send zwave command to change that:

https://manuals.plus/eaton/eatons-z-wave-plus-wireless-receptacle-rftr9605-t-manual#configuration_parameters

When I go to Hubitat -> devices -> advanced -> Send Zwave command I have been trying different variations:
PowerUpState=2 and the result in live log is:
errorcontains illegal character for hexBinary: PowerUpState=2

PowerUpState2 and the results in live log is:
errorhexBinary needs to be even-length: PowerUpState2

Any tips on how to change the behavior when power is restored?

Thank you

Anyone able to help, please?

As I was search I came across the Z Wave commands:

So I tried to add Get and Set in different formats, still the same heXBinary errors

That command takes a hex representation of the command and payload, not text/string like you are doing. There are number of threads on here that show how to do it if you search. It would likely be 700502 though .

70 = config command class
05 = parameter 5
02 = Value of 2.

An easier option may be to use the basic zwave tool. Install it as a driver, switch the device to use that driver, change parameter, change back to original driver.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the pointers.

1. I have tried sending the 700502 via the Advanced command - no response in the live log

And the outlet is still in the default (OFF state) when power is connect

1. I have also installed the basic zwave tool. Next I went to the device and switched the type to basic zwave and saved the settings. It changes the interface. Based on @JasonJoel post above I used 05 as the parametr and 02 as the value. Still no response in the logs and when power is cycled the switch is still in the OFF state

You likely need to add a size (1 based on your screenshot) on the basic zwave tool. Still might not work, but if it doesn't that's likely a device or device firmware issue at that point. :person_shrugging:

I send config params using both methods all the time, so the tools do indeed work.

Another thing you could try is powering down the hub, removing power, waiting a minute, power back up and try again. That would only help if the zwave radio is clogged up/stuck though.

Yes!!! THANK YOU!

Combination of both of the steps worked...

1. Power down the hub, remove power and wait, power hub, verify it is online, reconnect power to the switch and supply all of the inputs. Recycle power and the switch is now ON without a need to press the button, i..e the default config has changed.
    Logs also show acceptance of the command, when the size is specified!

2024-02-29 17:37:39.645 ConfigurationReport- parameterNumber:5, size:1, value:2

1 Like