Easy Hack for pressure sensing

This mat hooked to a dry contact sensor works really well. I just cut off the sound thing and wired it up to a zwave dry contact sensor. I was surprise by the accuracy of the mat underneath another mat or mattress. Is there any zigbee contact sensors with dry contact connection?

4 Likes

There are zigbee leak sensors with exposed terminals that can be used as dry contacts.

Notably ones from Aqara and Third Reality.

1 Like

I bought the exact same product and tossed it under my kitchen sink mat with a Zwave ecolink sensor. Works great. It still feels like magic having my sink light come on when I am standing in front of the sink. Now if I could just figure out how to have it ignore my cat who likes to lay in that very spot too. I did this same thing years ago with ST and a mat designed for boats that is no longer available, but I like this one better.

4 Likes

Oh boy why did I read this thread? As soon as someone suggests a ZigBee version I'm sure to buy 5. Damn you people!

3 Likes

Link to the mat:
https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Security-SK630-Pressure-Triggered/dp/B00GUNX7WY/
Wish I'd known about this 6 months ago when it was $24 instead of $30.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Will the leak sensor still work when using the terminals. If I'm not mistaken the eco link sensor doesn't function the same when the dry contact is hooked up I could be wrong though. It would be nice to put one of these by the sinks hooked to a leak sensor. Leak detection and pressure sensor through one device in the bathroom or maybe if I wet the bed I can get notified faster.

Sure - depends on where the terminals are positioned. But, in general, yes.

I don't know about the ecolink, but the reed switch in the GoControl contact sensor still works when the external terminals are used.

1 Like

Ecolink open/close sensors have two terminals inside that when shorted together makes the sensor report closed. When not shorted it reports open. The sensor module cannot be wet, but you can run a water proof cable to a dry location and install the sensor there. These are zwave devices.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.